[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm planning on reading the Odyssey and Illiad, is it a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: Eris 006.jpg (215 KB, 500x631) Image search: [Google]
Eris 006.jpg
215 KB, 500x631
I'm planning on reading the Odyssey and Illiad, is it a good or bad idea to read them in the Samuel Butler translation or do I absolutely have to read it in poetic form?
>>
~le daily homer translation thread~
>>
You don't have to read it in poetic form, but you should. Go for Fitzgerald, Fagles, or Lattimore.
>>
>>8177747
What are the benefits to reading it in poetic from over prose?
>>
>>8177798

Authenticity and more beautiful language, of course
>>
Translations are for lazy philistines. Learn to read it in the original Archaic Greek or go home. You have ample time and resources. There's no excuse.
>>
>>8177819
>Authenticity and more beautiful language
but they're all translations anyway
>>
>>8177734
Butler's translation is great for plot but there's a few things you should take note of: he re-orders some sections for easier reading, so if you want to refer to a section by number, most poetic translations are going to be further out; there's no lists of ships, which is often a plus to many people but if you like shipping news might be a downer; you can read more than one book on the same subject.

Lattimore and Butler together are a great idea, because Lattimore tries to get the word sound of the poetry right and close to the Greek line order, if not the meter, while Butler tries to explain the story without having to worry about form.

If you want to go the learn Greek route, Pharr's Homeric Greek is the standard babby's first.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.