[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Literally what the fuck? Do I really have to go over two millennia
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: Untitled.png (31 KB, 694x394) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
31 KB, 694x394
Literally what the fuck? Do I really have to go over two millennia worth of text just to get to Nietzsche (my favorite philosopher)?
>>
>>8176945
You do have to cover the Greeks and the Bible.
>>
>>8176945

How do you know he's your favorite if you haven't gotten to him yet?
>>
>>8176945
>Nietzsche
>favorite philosopher
>hasn't read the Greeks

Checks out.
>>
File: tumblr_o8s5b4JVWA1rpowflo1_500.jpg (51 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o8s5b4JVWA1rpowflo1_500.jpg
51 KB, 500x400
>>8176945
>Nietzsche (my favorite philosopher)?
>>
>>8176945

If he's your favourite philosopher, you should already know Nietzche is famous for subverting many aspects of traditional western philosophy, and you won't appreciate the whole story if you don't know about his predescessors.

I don't think you have to rigorously study every single text beforehand, but you should have a good idea about what they're about.
>>
>>8176945
Where that shit at?
>>
>>8177022

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1y8_RRaZW5X3xwztjZ4p0XeRplqebYwpmuNNpaN_TkgM/mobilebasic?pli=1
>>
delete this thread
>>
>>8176945
to read Nietzsche and fully grasp what he's trying to do, you should at the very least be familiar with Plato.
>>
>>8176974
Please neck yourself
>>
File: Gregos.jpg (2 MB, 3240x3600) Image search: [Google]
Gregos.jpg
2 MB, 3240x3600
>>
>>8177137
Nietzsche (my favorite philosopher)
>>
>>8177040
>being butthurt about the idea that giving people malaria nets is a better idea than discussing """""""revolutionary""""""" semantics
>muh the complement of communism is liberalism wake up sheeple
>>
>>8176945

>Want to understand an important writer
>Don't want to understand the cultural context of his writing

wew
>>
>>8176945
you can skip Aristotle
>>
>>8176945
Just read the Greeks through Plato and Schopenhauer. Nietzsche didn't read much philosophy.
>>
File: Wew m8.gif (403 KB, 245x118) Image search: [Google]
Wew m8.gif
403 KB, 245x118
For the only philosophy that matters, you don't need to read very much.

Start with Plato, then deal with Kant.

Then move onto Schopenhauer, who was a little bit autistic and took his teacher seriously when told to read only Plato/Kant.

Boom. You're now ready for Nietzsche.

Bonus points for reading you're away around the Greeks in general, and potentially the Bible/etc, but by no means needed.
>>
>>8177514
>no Hegel
>no Wittgenstein
Why even bother of you're gonna skip the best ones.
>>
ayy
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.