[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Looking for some badass English names for a Knight
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
Hey guys, I'm looking for a good English type of name. Between 12-16th century old, it could even be European. I'm writing a short story that takes place in medieval times - Nothing fantasy or anything like that. Reason for I'm asking for a good name on here because all those generators/yahoo's suggestions are garbage of options. I'm just looking for a good large selection of cool/badass sounding names for a medieval knight I could use in my story. It'd be great to see some cool ass names, thanks :)

His persona - Serious, Loyal, Steadfast, and always stern. He keeps to his chivalric code.
>>
Eastern European names could work also.
>>
Bobby
>>
Algernon
>>
I'm looking for a full name, (Example: John Richwood)
>>
Jimmy Fallon
>>
>>8175660
James the Fowler
>>
>>8175589
Vladimir Ilyich Ulyanov
>>
Johnny Grundle-Sucker II
>>
>>8175586
Sounds boring as hell.
>>8175589
Vladimir Vladimirovich Putin
>>
adam sandler
>>
>>8175700
adam savage
>>
This board is essentially reddit.
>>
>>8175586
>wants to write a fucking generic medieval historical fiction novel
>cant even think of a name that has relevance to his novel's themes
>cant even think of a "cool" sounding name

Back to >>/r9k/
>>
>>8175586
Sir Killalot.
>>
File: Sir_killalot.jpg (47 KB, 314x321) Image search: [Google]
Sir_killalot.jpg
47 KB, 314x321
>>8175824
Fuck yeah!
>>
Palamon
>>
Cecil
>>
>>8175586
Percy
>>
>>8175586

Tancred
Bohemond
Rainulf
Henry
Walter
William
Alberic
Robert
Roger
Osbert
Osmund
Cuthbert
Alban

Most of these would suit an earlier setting, 9th-12th Centuries, but some would have currency far beyond that.
>>
>>8175646

Assuming you are OP, surnames of the sort with which we are familiar were quite unusual until the 14th/15th centuries.

Most noblemen would be distinguished from others of the same name by reference to their land holdings Rainulf of Aversa.

There were familial names - for example Bohemond, Tancred, Roger Guiscard were all members of the de Hauteville family - but again this is because their common ancestor, Tancred, was the lord of Hauteville in Normandy. Hence, de Hauteville.

Guiscard - is not a surname, but an epithet, meaning 'the Crafty' or 'the Cunning'. Other examples would be Henry the Lion in Germany for example, or Richard the Lionheart. These were reasonably common distinguishing marks.

So, surnames in the way we would be familiar with are appropriate to a late age and would look out of place earlier on. It really depends upon when precisely you wish to set your tale.
>>
>>8175586
faggot of OP
>>
>>8175586
>not creating your own name that reflects on the character's traits/personality, and functions as historical/literary allusion, and/or puns/double meanings
you dun goofed op
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.