[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some good books about accepting the fact that everything
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: 1462881145241.jpg (110 KB, 445x800) Image search: [Google]
1462881145241.jpg
110 KB, 445x800
What are some good books about accepting the fact that everything is shit and getting worse until you die?

Cosy defeatism/fatalism, if you will.
>>
>>8174170
get laid, loser
>>
Epictetus is good. And not just because his name makes me think "epic taters," every single time.

To paraphrase: If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.

TL;DR: Don't let it get to you.
>>
>>8174174
>implying that helps
>>
>>8174170
defeatism is a crime punishable by death, stuff it, you heathen
>>
>>8174170
>everything is shit and getting worse

maybe if you're a Russian lol
>>
>>8174352
>turn le other cheeki breeki

christcucks basically invented it
>>
Is your name Carl, OP?
>>
>>8174682
W-who's asking?
>>
>>8174682
My step son's father figure.
>>
>>8174170

Enjoy the Decline: Accepting and Living with the Death of the United States
>>
File: 1466038254326.png (832 KB, 1009x6647) Image search: [Google]
1466038254326.png
832 KB, 1009x6647
>>8174170
>books about accepting the fact that everything is shit and getting worse until you die
Pic related.

>>8174176
>If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.
>you have the power
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJlPr2KHSFo
A cute notion, but deeply flawed. Perception and belief are not voluntary. Only analysis and (conscious) interpretation are, which give the illusion to the other two.
You can't choose not to be high after popping shrooms, for instance, but you can choose to compensate for the effects and fight to function at a passably sober level - in some respects at least - while tripping balls.
More correctly you can convince a casual observer you have the power. Which most people do as defense mechanisms desu
>>
File: JUSTE.jpg (268 KB, 682x1024) Image search: [Google]
JUSTE.jpg
268 KB, 682x1024
>>8174786
>Pic related.
that's pretty convincing.
>>
>>8174726
strong title
>>
>>8174786
That pic inspired me. Rather than convince me to resign myself to a miserable life, it kindled something strange inside me. Something foolish. Thanks.
>>
>>8174918
should we tip the fbi?
>>
>>8174786
>You can't choose not to be high after popping shrooms, for instance
Of course you can if you learn to breath properly.After all monks can do lsd and feel nothing its all ITS ALL ABOUT YOUR WILL.
>>
>>8174936
Jeez, I didn't mean in THAT way, dude. I just feel like trying to get my life together, even if it's hopeless.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.