[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is LoTR a 'classic' work of literature? Or just a gold
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: 6-laws-from-lord-of-the-rings[1].jpg (662 KB, 3234x2425) Image search: [Google]
6-laws-from-lord-of-the-rings[1].jpg
662 KB, 3234x2425
Is LoTR a 'classic' work of literature? Or just a gold standard for genre fiction?
>>
>>8172909
Neither.
>>
Who cares? Spend less time putting shit into categories and spend more time reading.
>>
>>8172917
I read a ton. However, I am unaware if LoTR is considered to have literary merit.
>>
>>8172921
it is, but begrudgingly.
>>
>>8172921
Why shouldn't it?
>>
>>8172909
I think it's a classic, and has literary merit. Tolkien was very well read on mythology, which is not an overly-easy task, and many fantasy writers choose to bypass it. He changed the fantasy genre so significantly that his standards are still being used, either as a complete ripoff or at least branching point.

So there, it was created out of intellectual work and it's effects still remain to be seen in the public sphere, pretty much the definition of literature, or literary fiction, or whatever you snobby faggots call it nowadays.
>>
>>8172989
>So there, it was created out of intellectual work and it's effects still remain to be seen in the public sphere, pretty much the definition of literature

something being historically significant doesn't make it literature
>>
>>8172921
People hate it because its one of the few literary greats that made a successful movie and got a younger following.
>>
>>8172909

It's fashionable for literary snobs to hate it. Yes, it is literature. Just because something is genre fiction doesn't exclude it from being literature.
>>
>>8173082
Kek no.
>>
It all depends on how you define literature. A printer manual is literature.

>>8172996
This argument is old and tired, and by using it you let people know of your faggotry. Literally the first fucking definition you philistine scum.

lit·er·a·ture
ˈlidərəCHər,ˈlidərəˌCHo͝or/
noun
written works, especially those considered of superior or lasting artistic merit.
>>
>>8172909

>Is LoTR a 'classic' work of literature?
Yes. Tolkien wasn't the greatest aesthetic writer, and in terms of technicality, he has a lot of flaws. But the majority of his writing is solid and he essentially created an entire mythology for the modern era in response to the modernist trend of stifling and shunning the value and importance of mythology and legend in modern academia.

>Or just a gold standard for genre fiction?
He is this as well. Whether that's a good or bad thing is the real question.
>>
>>8173143
you're using a dictionary as your argument and calling me a philistine?

jfc /lit/
>>
>>8172909
>Genre fiction, also known as popular fiction, is plot-driven fictional works written with the intent of fitting into a specific literary genre, in order to appeal to readers and fans already familiar with that genre.

you dumb motherfucker
>>
>>8173174
Yes, I'm pretty sure when arguing about the definition of a word, the dictionary is going to come into play.

I believe the term you're looking for is Literary Fiction, and even then it is still defined by its impact.

I'm sorry you don't like LoTR, but you're not really in charge of this shit.
>>
>>8172909
It's a classic.
And it's read often for literary merritt and has had plenty of influence on other literary works.
>>
>>8173188
>Yes, I'm pretty sure when arguing about the definition of a word

adorable. you're the only one arguing the definition of any word.

>I believe the term you're looking for is Literary Fiction, and even then it is still defined by its impact.

i'm not looking for any term.

>I believe the term you're looking for is Literary Fiction, and even then it is still defined by its impact.

i'm sorry you're so set on attacking some imaginary poster you've made up in your head you don't realize the person you're replying to is perfectly okay with saying LoTR is a classic work of literature. but that's ok, i'm curious what else you think i'm saying now.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.