[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rome into cyberpunk
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: 1356976724838.jpg (366 KB, 1600x1000) Image search: [Google]
1356976724838.jpg
366 KB, 1600x1000
How to put Roman traits in a corporation or government in a cyberpunk novel?
>>
If you'd researched Rome you wouldn't need to ask this
>>
for what purpose
>>
>>8171807
Don't need to be condescending, /lit/
>>
>>8171811
I answered your question though
>>
>>8171805

The lawless subculture aspect of cyberpunk can easily be integrated through usage of imperial subjects of ancient Rome
>>
You know that you are asking about over 1200 years of diverse history and cultural identity?
>>
>>8171805
Find inspiration in modern Europe. We didn't advance as much as you'd think, this is still culture heavily inspired by Roman. Old churches in the midst of urban buildings, processions of the saints, Vatican, Ameican Senate/Washington DC aesthetics, corrupt local politicians etc.
Add to it inevitable Roman guilds and various societies that acted like proto-Mafia, militarization, elite caste of rich untouchable nobility and so on.
>>
>>8171830
And? I'm sorry but I don't see your point, the cultural identity today is really influenced by romans and, besides, there could be similar culture to the Roman one in it's owns aspects.
>>8171817
But how can Rome actually get into cyberpunk and not the opposite? Rome would be then a corporation that doesn't play war, how is militarism translated to it? How is slavery translated to a futuristic society? What are the differences between the Roman slavery and the high tech/low life jobs offered on a place that still likes to pretend to follow illuminist ideals and how could that change the outcome of Rome/Company?
>>
>>8171982
>how is slavery translated to a futuristic society?
IDK, maybe wageslavery? Subjugation under technological simulacra? The opportunities for slavery have never been greater.

>that long winded last question
Please phrase better.
>>
>>8171982
>corporation
>that doesn't play war

>cyberpunk
>>
>>8171982
>And? I'm sorry but I don't see your point

You are not a smart man
>>
>>8171805

Speaking generally, the Romans were practical-minded engineers who enjoyed dick jokes.
>>
>>8172396
>engineers who enjoyed dick jokes
So he should just plagiarize Gravity's Rainbow?
>>
>>8171805

Rome is entirely based on forced flesh labor. So the closest parallel would be the Matrix. The matrix is dependent on the slavery of the majority of the human race.

It gets tricky though, because high tech tends to lend to labor saving.

Think of it as a machine with the inputs being human lives.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.