[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
QTDDTOT
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: QTDDTOT.jpg (33 KB, 323x396) Image search: [Google]
QTDDTOT.jpg
33 KB, 323x396
Post any questions you have that don't deserve their own thread. I'll start us off:
Is this the correct usage of the word 'anodyne'?
"The latter, only further added to his dismay, as all he found were anodyne messages of condolence; written only to meet obligation."
>>
>>8171669
It seems fine to me. Why do you ask?
>>
is pevear and volokhonsky copy of the master and margarita acceptable? I have glenny as well but I heard that one is trash. Those are the only two I have access to,
>>
Are there any authors that found their writing to be shit? Inversely any authors who were extremely satisfied and smug about their writing? Give me the extreme examples.
>>
>>8172098
Kafka wanted his stuff to be burned.
>>
>>8172098
Goethe came up with his own theory of how colors are created. To him, colors come into being when "darkness" and "light" mix. He published several books and kept on fighting against Newton's "wrong theory".

Even in his last years he was convinced that his color theory would be the one thing that would outlast him, it would only be a matter of time until the world would understand.
>>
>>8172036
As long as it is the uncensored version it should be ok. I know the glenny translation is from the censored version but not sure about p&v. I know that the p&v translation of dead souls (Gogol) lost a lot of the humor, so this may be a problem here as well. I haven't read the p&v translation of m&m so I can't say for sure.
>>
>>8172098
I'm sure nabokov was extremely smug about his writing, especially Lolita.
>>
>>8172141
is this a shitpost?
>>
>>8172163
is yours?
>>
>>8172036
>>8172156
Same question, but regarding C+P
>>
>>8172194
Do you already own the p&v translation? If you do, it is fine. It's not as bad as the people here make it out to be.
If you don't, I highly suggest the new translation by Oliver Ready. Of the 3 I've read (magarshack, p&v and Ready) the ready translation was the best. The other 2 were both good though.
>>
>>8172163
No, Goethean alternative epistemology, especially as a scientific epistemology, is a whole thing

Another interesting one along these lines is Pascal vs. Descartes on the nature of understanding nature. Making a bit of a comeback in pomo stuff I think
>>
Why is Rimbaud so revered? His works are good, especially for someone his age, but none of them are mind blowing.
>>
Where do I start with philosophy?
>>
Can I just read the books on http://thegreatestbooks.org/ from top to bottom, or should I go in a certain order? I started In Search of Lost Time and like it so far.
>>
>>8173304
The Azteks.
>>
Whenever I read, I constantly find myself thinking about other things, but still moving my eyes across the text, but then I found I didn't actually "read" the last paragraph.

Is there a way to train yourself to stop reading and stay where you are when your brain begins to wander?
>>
>>8175268
Practice
>>
>>8173186
I was pussyfooting when I wrote this. I'll just be straight up about my opinions on Rimbaud. It seems more than any other poet (at least on /lit/) his popularity has to do with his life story, being the infant terrible more than the quality of his output.

I'm willing to listen to other viewpoints.
>>
Is White Teeth a meme book or is it good?
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.