[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Dostoevsky good?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: 999999999999.jpg (34 KB, 250x332) Image search: [Google]
999999999999.jpg
34 KB, 250x332
Is Dostoevsky good?
>>
>>8171568
It depends, for me sometimes it's a little slow.
>>
Depends. If you're reading for plot, no.
If your reading for characters and reflection, he's one of the best.
>>
>>8171568
Dislike him. A cheap sensationalist, clumsy and vulgar. A prophet, a claptrap journalist and a slapdash comedian. Some of his scenes are extraordinarily amusing. Nobody takes his reactionary journalism seriously.
>>
>>8171579

pretty much this.
>>
>>8171568
Crime and Punishment made me feel like I was going insane along with the character. It was great. To me his books were always mentally taxing but rewarding at the same time. Imo he is not at all an author that you pick up and read before bed but rather one specifically allocate time to.
>>
>Dostoevsky
>good
>>
>>8171587
Go to bed Nabby
>>
He a bad bitch
>>
>>8171587
Is this going to be posted in every thread now?
>>
File: 3304085.jpg (72 KB, 316x475) Image search: [Google]
3304085.jpg
72 KB, 316x475
This book actually made me cry. I get tears in my eyes just thinking about it. Not his "best" work but I was shocked how much it made me feel.
>>
>>8171587
Is there a polemic againat N.'s view of dosto written by a good literary critic?
>>
>>8171568
Most of his books have like five competing plot lines wherein the 'main' plot could be expressed in a fifth of the space, so if you like that (I love it) he's good. There's a shitton of psychology in his works so you really have to immerse yourself in it
>>
>>8172510
No, because any serious literary critic agrees with Nabokov.
>>
>>8172511
>Most of his books have like five competing plot lines

wooah 0_0
>>
>>8172511
this is not even true
>>
>>8172545
What isn't true
>>
>>8172545
form what i've read, there really aren't 5 plot lines
>>
>>8171607
Yeah, that book got my heart rate up a few times. It also was one of the few books to ever make me cry.
>>
>>8171568
the best

I cant think of no other major classic writer that is more relevant nowadays
>>
>>8172477
>now
you missed Dostoevskij's threads in the last 2 years or more
>>
>>8172744

I agree
>>
>>8172477
Eventually, after a topic (author, book, whatever) has been meme'd enough, the threads begin to write themselves. I'm not sure exactly how to articulate what's going on... But it's kind of fascinating, because it leads to thread death.

Remember the read/expected/got threads? Eventually the threads would be autofilled with memes (eg. Corn) and inevitably someone would reply with the "it's not corn it's wheat" copypasta. And so on.
>>
Dostoevsky, Fyodor.

Dislike him. A cheap sensationalist, clumsy and vulgar. A prophet, a claptrap journalist and a slapdash comedian. Some of his scenes are extraordinarily amusing. Nobody takes his reactionary journalism seriously.

The Double. His best work, though an obvious and shameless imitation of Gogol's "Nose."
The Brothers Karamazov. Dislike it intensely.
Crime and Punishment. Dislike it intensely. Ghastly rigmarole.
>>
>>8173276
Too late senpai >>8171587
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.