[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Upanishads
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: 290882.jpg (102 KB, 294x475) Image search: [Google]
290882.jpg
102 KB, 294x475
All you need is here.
>>
>>8171560
Does it contain info about the goddess Kali?
I know this will sound silly, but I saw her during meditation once despite not knowing anything about her (not even her name) at the time. She had bigger boobs in my vision, but that was probably my imagination working overtime. In any case, she's far more interesting than I expected (>muh silly animal gods), she sits on a dude, is topless, holds swords and skulls and decapitated heads. You may spin it any way you want (personification of becoming and the falsehood of identity, etc.), she'll always be the goddess of fucking and killing to me, even when it's destruction of self-identities or narcissistic enjoyment.
>>
>>8171560
"Through the study of the scriptures alone or with erudition one can not realize the Atman, and even through the intellectualism and the debates in the classroom"
(Katha Upanishad, I, II, 23)

"The wise man, having studied the treaties of religious and secular knowledge, completely abandon these treaties, as one who looking for the seed leaves the rind"
(Brahmabindù Upanishads, 18)

"All that you have studied is but a set of words" (Chandogya Upanishad, VII, I, 3)

"In a frightening darkness enter those who live in ignorance, and in an even worse darkness those who have only a theoretical knowledge" (Svetasvara Upanishad, IV, IV, 10).

Why even read, /lit/? Don't you realise reading is useless?
>>
>>8171591
>I know this will sound silly, but I saw her during meditation once despite not knowing anything about her (not even her name) at the time. She had bigger boobs in my vision

it reminds me...

>In June 2012, some Hindu leaders became upset at the inclusion of several Hindu gods in Smite and the fact that they are player-controlled. The deities that were in question were Kali, Agni, and Vamana, and there was particular opposition to how Kali was dressed.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smite_(video_game)#Depiction_of_Hindu_gods_controversy
>>
File: OHMY.gif (3 MB, 426x426) Image search: [Google]
OHMY.gif
3 MB, 426x426
>>8171593

"Whoever knows knowledge and ignorance
Both of them together
By ignorance crosses over death.
And by knowledge reaches immortality."
Isavaya or Isa Upanisad, 11

Better question, why haven't you Tao te Ching and wu wei yet?
>>
>>8171693
It's really fascinating, wu wei
>>
>>8171705

Autists here are more likely to learn something useful from the Tao te Ching than they are from the fantastical idealism of the Upanishads (which I admit is beautiful and compelling, but still). It's what ain't said that matters more than what is.
>>
File: 1365764930797.jpg (126 KB, 596x381) Image search: [Google]
1365764930797.jpg
126 KB, 596x381
>>8171713

>Autists here are more likely to

Because you're acting like a complete normie right now with your angry rant about "the Upanishads". Good one.
>>
Just started reading this, coming from a Buddhist background. I used to think they were mutually exclusive, but now I think the knowledge in the Upanishads are very much compatible with the practice of buddhism.
>>
>>8171732

Gee it's not like Gautama was like raised in India as an Indian prince or anything who wouldn't know all about Hinduism for that reason or anything.
>>
>>8171720

>normies
>read

HAH good one
>>
>>8171736

I thought that it was a reaction to Hinduism in general, but now I see that it was more against the practitioners of the time than the "core knowledge".
>>
>>8171560
No anon, all you need is there.

But seriously, the person of one book........ oh what folly.
>>
>>8171762
oh what folly
>>
we was nuclear civilization
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.