[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pinecone breaking my mind?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
>Started reading Gravity's Rainbow
>About 200 pages in
>Have to pretty much just power through a lot of the time and accept that I don't fully grasp everything that's going on. I usually figure things out after a few pages, though.
>Lately feel like I don't grasp any of the things I read the way I used to.
>Feel like my focus is leaving me and I'm getting stupider

Anyone else have the same thing happen?
What do?
>>
Once you get to Part 3, it gets easier and he actually sticks to somewhat coherent storytelling. Also remember it's all a meme :^)
>>
>>8171379
It's good to take notes as you go along, it makes it a lot easier avoiding the red herrings later on in the book
>>
Pynchons my fav writer for sure because my fav thing in books is goofs, gags, jokes and rambunctious behavior, and his books are full to the brim of it. Every novel is like one of those novelty snake cans, you open the book & POP you get a face fulla snakes and you fall back cackling. The mad mind, the crack genius, to do it! and then you think hmmm whats he gonna do next, this trickster, and you pick the book back up and BZZZZZZZZZZ you get a shock and Hahahahahah you've been pranked again by the old pynchmeister, that card. "Did that Pynch?" he says, laughing yukyukyukyuk. Watch him as he shoves a pair of plastic buck teeth right up into his mouth and displays em for you- left, right, center- "you like dese? Do i look handsome???" Pulls out a mirror. "Ah!" Hand to naughty mouth. And you're on your ass again laughing as he snaps his suspenders, exits stage right, and appears again hauling a huge golden gong.
>>
File: 1466113145765.jpg (146 KB, 452x600) Image search: [Google]
1466113145765.jpg
146 KB, 452x600
His newer books are a lot more cohesive, plot wise.
>>
>>8172146
Can you explain more about your pic. Is it an actual thing or just some shit?
>>
>>8172115
Yeah
>>
>>8172146
I remember reading screens of his work at boeing when he was young

That stuff was fairly coherent
>>
File: 1464231206649.jpg (43 KB, 300x400) Image search: [Google]
1464231206649.jpg
43 KB, 300x400
>>8171385
Part 3 is super fun and funny.
Don't forget to get some hashish to smoke while reading it.
>>
>>8172819
Does that actually help? I'm in the midst Part 2 right now and I've been smoking and reading and typically am just nodding my head and then laughing loudly about how I have no idea who the fuck Pokler is or why he's being talked about.
>>
>>8172115
kek
>>
>>8172836
Not at the same time, although that is fun too. There are some parts in part 3 where they do actually smoke and I could see it being confusing (not really the right word because it's not really difficult to understand) to someone who has never smoked before.

An example would be how Slothrop mistakes the Reichstag for a gorilla eating food.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.