[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I'm wanting to read Being and Nothingness. What do I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: jean.jpg (172 KB, 560x320) Image search: [Google]
jean.jpg
172 KB, 560x320
So I'm wanting to read Being and Nothingness. What do I need to read to understand it or can I dive right in. I have basic-tier philosophy under my belt (Greeks, Kant, Schopenhauer, Nietzsche for the most part).
>>
>>8171105
I haven't yet read it but if it's like any other Sartre work he'll spoonfeed you before introducing anything heavy. He wrote for common man.
>>
>>8171105
Sartre = pseudo-intellectual wankery.
>>
>>8171105
>>>/his/
>>
>>8171162
The pseudo-intellectual's favorite word: pseudo-intellectual.
>>
>>8171171

Literally asking about a book and any prerequisite books needed and you pull the >>>/his/ move. Quite dumb sir
>>
>>8171173
This is starting to get a bit too meta for me.
>>
>>8171177
>book =/= literature
>>
File: 1464391294469.gif (4 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1464391294469.gif
4 MB, 320x240
>>8171257

So therefore book = history?
>>
>>8171267
>being this new

/his/ is the history & humanities board, including philosophy
>>
>Kant, Schopenhauer, Nietzsche
>basic tier

No. You didn't understand.
>>
>>8171279

>/lit/ is for the discussion of literature, specifically books (fiction & non-fiction), short stories, poetry, creative writing, etc. If you want to discuss history, religion, or the humanities, go to /his/. If you want to discuss politics, go to /pol/. Philosophical discussion can go on either /lit/ or /his/, but ideally those discussions of philosophy that take place on /lit/ should be based around specific philosophical works to which posters can refer.
>>
>>8171162

Explain
>>
>>8171290
refer to
>>8171356
>>
>>8171359
>>8171356

Let's start with Kant. What was Kant's project?
>>
>>8171105
Heidegger and Husserl wouldn't hurt. I'm reading through without having read those and it isn't so bad. There are PDFs from several classes devoted to the book that are easily found with a Google search. I would say go for it and look up what you don't understand.
>>
Just read this and skip Sartre

http://pacificinstitute.org/pdf/Letter_on_%20Humanism.pdf
>>
>>8172364
>encouraging posters to skip gigantic chunks of work because you ideologically disagree with them
>>
>>8172366
>tripping AND shitposting
>>
>>8172387
How was that a shitpost. Do you know what a shit post is? Don't f*#ck8ing test me dude..........I'm on edge......
>>
it helps if you understand heidegger, but if you understand heidegger you have literally nothing to learn from sartre. his decriptions and anecdotes are entertaining though
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.