[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/lit/, I have an unusual request. Which of these books are the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: bookshelf 1.jpg (3 MB, 5295x2145) Image search: [Google]
bookshelf 1.jpg
3 MB, 5295x2145
/lit/, I have an unusual request.
Which of these books are the most likely to be insufferable shit? Which of these books are the absolute worst, who someone with taste will almost undoubtedly hate? Which are the least /lit/? If you think they're all shit, which are the most shit?

I'm moving soon, and I've packed up most of my books, the ones I've read and books that I'm fairly sure I'll enjoy or think worthwhile. I'm planning to read 50 or so pages of each of these to decide if they're worth keeping, or if I should sell them before I leave. I'm just looking for a starting point, because I doubt I'll have time to read 50 pages of each and every one.
>>
File: bookshelf 2.jpg (2 MB, 3929x1745) Image search: [Google]
bookshelf 2.jpg
2 MB, 3929x1745
>>8171043
Second shelf
>>
>>8171043

All of them. Novels are ideological parasites. This is a Marxist cultural theory board.
>>
File: bookshelf 3.jpg (3 MB, 4681x2065) Image search: [Google]
bookshelf 3.jpg
3 MB, 4681x2065
>>8171052
Third and final shelf.
>>
>>8171054
n-not all of them are novels, comrade
>>
>>8171043
>The Corrections
Complete shit

>>8171052
>Jayne Eyre
Insufferable Victorian shit
>>
>>8171080
Is it insufferable because it's Victorian, or insufferable even to those who are okay with Victorian shit?
I won't even doubt you on The Corrections
>>
You can put tropic of capricorn on the "getting rid immediately" list, that's for sure.
>>
>>8171086
It's like pride and prejudice if you've ever read that, but with more dramatic soap-opera like twists.
>>
>>8171134
>reading for plot
>>
>>8171121
Is it worse than Tropic of Cancer? Or are you not a Miller fan in general?
>>
>>8171134
'Pride and Prejudice' isn't Victorian, asshat.
>>
>>8171134
I've read it, I felt pretty lukewarm about it. But I had been doing a course on Austen, so I'd read three of her novels prior to that.
Order thus far:
>Corrections
>Jane Eyre
>Tropic of Capricorn
>>
How about this, keep these:
>Anderson
>Marquez
>Saramago
>Wolfe
>Genet
>Bellow
>Carver
>Miller
>Dickens
>Mahfouz
>Lawrence
>Roth
>Burroughs
>Hempel

and as secondary if you have room:
>Munro
>Murakami
>Franzen
>Self
>Llosa
>Vonnegut
>Delilo
>Bronte
>Dickey
>Gaddis
>Ginsberg
>Robinson
>McCarthy
>Saunders
>Salinger
>>
>>8171175
Surprised to see Hempel there, not many people talk about her even in real life.
I also didn't realize I left Carver in there.
I'll probably still give the others partial reads, just because I don't like to get rid of things without giving them a chance, and I have plenty of time.
>>
>>8171197
Probably best to use your own discretion over the opinions of /lit/ folk.
>>
>>8171216
I am, I won't take that post as the be all end all, but it's narrowed things down the most. If there's something I don't get to I'll end up keeping it, which is why I wanted a starting point. I've been doing it on my own thus far and I ended up liking 5 or 6 other books I tried and realized it may be more productive to get some outside input.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.