[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: help others decide what to read next and provide some info
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6
File: 1455248524678.png (239 KB, 557x605) Image search: [Google]
1455248524678.png
239 KB, 557x605
ITT: help others decide what to read next and provide some info on your life/personality/whatever to help people help you

>severely depressed
>severe anxiety (social and general)
>isolated, reclusive, lonely, etc

>Lolita
>Notes from Underground
>White Noise
>Taipei
>If on a Winter's Night
>The Book of Disquiet
>>
>>8170912
If on a winter's night a traveler is super comfy, read that and maybe feel a bit better
>>
File: 1461252660576.jpg (175 KB, 565x678) Image search: [Google]
1461252660576.jpg
175 KB, 565x678
>self-despising yet has visions of grandeur
>lazy piece of shit
>introverted
>psued
>awkward
>vain
>>
>>8171018
isn't this basically everyone here?
Infinite Jest, Ulysses and Gravity's Rainbow seem like good choices
>>
>>8171018
Atlas Shrugged , seriously.
>>
>>8171032
Read that when I went through my Rand phase freshman year of high school. Meh, but The Fountainhead is much better and for a short while gave me some self worth and a better work ethic though it didn't last and I was soon back to my shitty self.
>>
>>8171025
Excellent meme. Or are you guys unironically suggesting those books now?
>>
>>8171025
kek
>>
>>8171018

Describe your visions of grandeur.
Be brutally honest and thorough about what they actually entail, regardless of how absurd.
>>
File: bookshelf 1.jpg (3 MB, 5295x2145) Image search: [Google]
bookshelf 1.jpg
3 MB, 5295x2145
This is kind of the opposite of the thread, but which of these would I be most likely to hate?

>thinks most contemporary lit doesn't have much literary value outside of "character building" and wants literature to be about a bit more than that
>ready to gtfo the area I'm in
>thinks the future is bleak for the world in general

Books I enjoyed:
>Lolita
>Stoner
>The Collected Stories of Mavis Gallant
>The Map and the Territory
>Absalom, Absalom
>>
File: 1456195485309.jpg (108 KB, 960x949) Image search: [Google]
1456195485309.jpg
108 KB, 960x949
>I want to be a meme philosopher and a philosopher of memes
>I've read Zarathustra and Twilight of the Idols

>Beyond Good and Evil
>Genealogy of Morals
>Human, All Too Human
>The Birth of Tragedy
>Ecce Homo
>The Antichrist
>>
>>8171081
>his is kind of the opposite of the thread, but which of these would I be most likely to hate?
probably all of them you pretentious twat
>>
File: bookshelf 2.jpg (2 MB, 3929x1745) Image search: [Google]
bookshelf 2.jpg
2 MB, 3929x1745
>>8171081
Also I'm an aspiring writer, if that means helps anything
>>
>>8171061
I believe that I am essentially, deep down, better than everyone around me even though I have nothing to show for it and rationally know that this probably isn't the case. I think I feel things more deeply then others and "have a world inside me". I think that I have the potential to be a great writer if I worked hard enough at the craft even though I have only written a small handful of short stories that are certainly shit and don't read nearly enough. My future looks grim but I have a vague feeling that I will produce something great. I also think that I am much more introspective than my peer. I know all of this is bullshit but I can't shake these feelings.
>>
File: bookshelf 3.jpg (3 MB, 4681x2065) Image search: [Google]
bookshelf 3.jpg
3 MB, 4681x2065
>>
>>8171091
boi are you 15
>>
>>8171087
If I triggered you, get a load of this guy.
>>8171091
>>
>>8171098
Do you see why I hate myself?
>>
>>8171091

This is an abstraction.
I said describe your VISIONS of grandeur.
I want the good stuff, the meat and potatoes, the actual fantasies, not the psychologist's office account of them.
>>
>>8171106
The actual fantasies? We'll then I would say that the one of being a great writer would be the most prominent and constant one. I fantasize that that I have something great in me, something vague but something that touches the universal, the infinite. I only lack the skill to refine it and to express it artfully in words. I fantasize that that I'll be something of a starving artist that is constantly facing poverty and failure but my dedication never waivers because I know I am great. Pretentious, I know, and has no reflection on reality.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.