[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Finding Inspiration
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: feelandloathing.jpg (24 KB, 318x317) Image search: [Google]
feelandloathing.jpg
24 KB, 318x317
I'm an individual that has been through the standard bland life of a small town upbringing, some lost loves, moving to a big city for university, with nothing else interesting experienced otherwise. Lately, I've felt an itch to try my hand at writing, if nothing else, as an emotional release for myself. However, I just don't feel any sort of inspiration. I would really like to get out and have *experiences* that give me some inspiration.

Right now, a friend and I are discussing throwing a random marker on a map in an 8 hour radius of us, and driving there on a friday afternoon, and spending the whole weekend there in bars drinking and talking to every single person we cross paths with, just to have an interesting experience, and meet interesting characters.

Does anybody have suggestions to improve on that weekend trip? Any suggestions for other things to do to get out and gather inspiration for writing? Once I graduate in December, I'm additionally thinking of taking a half-year in Europe. That's a ways away, however, and not set in stone.
>>
You better take a good long look at yourself because you are a humongous walking cliche, and I suspect you might already know it. There is no magical moment that will suddenly compel you to write, and please kid, for the love of fucking god, spare your wallet (or your poor parent's wallet) and don't waste a half-year in Europe. I'm somebody who has gone through university and seen a huge percentage of my facebook social circle go to Europe as if it's some kind of spiritual medicine, come back, and then spend the rest of their lives in some uninspired business-related job. Traveling, drugs, talking to arbitrary strangers will do nothing for you as an artist/writer; only hard work will. If you have no inspiration to write, then my answer to you is simple: don't fucking write.
>>
You don't have any inspiration because you're not a writer. A writer writes because he is compelled to not because he is inspired to. Some retarded soul searching journey in some shitty armpit of a town is not going to uncover some untapped talent within yourself. Either shut up and enclose yourself in an empty room and start writing or find something else to do with your time.
>>
>>8170822
My wallet has 11,000 dollars to spend as of right now, with a very high paying summer job over the next few months, an alright school-year job, and expenses covered (besides some odds and ends like some of my food and drinking) in the fall. A "half-year" is a cap. My intention was to spend time over there until I land a job interview that seems promising in my field (aerospace engineering). I would probably end up just doing a couple of months, being realistic. I feel inspiration to write, but haven't had the "spark" yet to kick off a specific idea. I've written a few movies in the past, but they were goofy comedies, and I never got around to filming them. I can feel something brewing on the horizon, I just want to get out and have some experiences to trigger it. Also take note I didn't exclusively focus on an extended European trip. I'm looking for any suggestions to get some interesting experiences to trigger some ideas to bring together what I know is floating around in my head. Drugs are out of the question, as my job is a federal government job, and I don't get into drugs anyways.
>>
>>8170828
This is why all of us on /lit/ are successful writers, right? We know it all :'^)

Cut the faggot some slack
>>
>>8170775

Don't listen to them OP. Inspiration isn't mystical. It's something you get from continuing experience. You get it from developing your creative skills IMO. Don't go to Europe, go to Africa. Europe's safe and boring. It's overly touristy. You won't learn much there. Also, don't go there for your writing. That's just retarded. Go there for fun and to do something while you're young. Travel for as long as you like. Don't listen to anyone else.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.