[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So is this book any good?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 10
File: image.jpg (52 KB, 567x567) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
52 KB, 567x567
So is this book any good?
>>
>>8170188
>blacks are beasts
>women should serve men
>against homosexual degeneracy

I'd say it's pretty redpilled. So yeah.
>>
It's a chore at times, but it's worth it.
>>
It's ok, bit bizzare in some place though there's some good lessons in there if you look hard enough.

Look out for the fan base though, they take things a bit too seriously.
>>
remember /lit/'s christfagging era?
>>
some of the poetry is ok
>>
>>8170204
Remember? We're still living it.
>>
You should pick it up before the sequel comes out.
>>
It's good until the last chapter which has literal dragons and space cities.
>>
File: Feiruz (1980).jpg (100 KB, 500x733) Image search: [Google]
Feiruz (1980).jpg
100 KB, 500x733
>>8170194
>>
>>8170188
The fanfic scene is pretty wild
>>
File: 170px-Mormon-book.jpg (15 KB, 170x245) Image search: [Google]
170px-Mormon-book.jpg
15 KB, 170x245
>>8170223
>he hasn't heard

The sequel was released two centuries ago.
>>
>>8170204
Do I count as a christfag if I'm actually christian, or is it only for shitposting purposes?
>>
(This book moreso translates in German to Anti-Christian btw, so dont think it's evil kthx)
>>
>>8170465
Also, there's nothing wrong with the majority of Christians.
>>
>>8170250
This is a Christian board, Christfags welcome.
>>
>>8170480

Your post only reinforces Nietzsche's point you know.
>>
>>8170498
I was saying in that in case any of the evil Christians (not Nietzsche's definition of evil) were reading.

"A virtue must be *our own* invention, *our* most necessary self-expression and self defense: any other kind of virtue is merely a danger."

End quote. Teehee
>>
>>8170188
It's important to read because it is so widely referenced. It's a bit like Shakespeare in that when you read it you start to notice it being referenced everywhere.
>>
If you aren't saved then I recommend you start off with the book of John, its the best part of the bible in terms of explaining eternal salvation.
>>
>>8170963
book of job best book
>>
>>8170985
that sure is a funny way of spelling Ecclesiastes
>>
Anti-Bible here (Basic Instruction Before Leaving Earth),

In response to the 3 posts above this post,

Which passages/sections/whatever would you recommend for someone that was recommended to read Matthew, and then closed in disgust once I read the shit-tier, evil filth "only the weak-spirited shall inherit Heaven etc", then picked it up after a few days to give it another chance, and then was *still* disgusted?

Please spare me as little bullshit as possible in your rec. Thanks.
>>
File: tmp_32032-146492025042422540552.png (483 KB, 262x776) Image search: [Google]
tmp_32032-146492025042422540552.png
483 KB, 262x776
>>8170999
By the way 999 trips.

But I wanted to add that I never, and will never, finish Matthew. I just gave it two or so pages after the first Jesus utterance.
>>
>>8170999
I recommend not being a faggot, first of all.
Secondly we just recommended three books. John, Job, and Ecclesiastes are a good start.
Thirdly, translation is important. I recommend New King James. If you want to know more about a verse, look up the original translation and read a study on it. There are plenty of resources on the internet. The Bible was certainly never meant to be written in English, let alone by modern Americans. You're going to have to meet it more than half way if you do actually give a damn.
>>
>>8171014
I have the NKJ version.

Name one(1) of those that I shall give my time to, and see if it is worth anything.
>>
>>8170999
It means poor as in a lack of wealth. I suggest reading commentaries otherwise you're likely to misinterpret like you have now.
>>
>>8171019
I must add this is a very good study bible by the way, so Ill understand all of the contextual bullshit.
>>
>>8171019
just read them you pretensious dilettante.
I don't care how you spend your time.
>>
>>8171027
Nah man, 1 is what I will give it.

Turn the other cheek if thats a problem for you, faggot.
>>
It's good in that a lot of people like it.

Personally, it's a one-note thing. How many times can you describe the same God?

God is rather simple, uninteresting and God is always an indirect influence in our lives so He's not even tangible. Constantly reading about the greatest thing ever that is really unknowable can be headache inducing.

Some people feel that everyone should read the Bible. I find it silly to believe that there is anything that encompasses all of life or any one way that is the answer.

That said, I've read the Jesus parts which were fine, but not revelatory. He wants you to really be nice, but he is the nicest. The book of Job, a popular one, I tackled awhile ago and I could relate to that story as a lot of people can who experience life as a continuous unfolding of worsening.

The rest of the stories I find rather dated, stale and boring.

Other than that. it creates a very large community you can be a part of. I think that is a nice thing.
>>
Old testament - yes
New testament - no. it's utter shit
>>
>>8171030
job.

dunno bout the nkj version but job is just beautiful writing.
>>
Nvm, I have NIV not NKJ. Soon to be 0
>>
>>8171030
never said I was a Christian, never implied that I cared about you.
Your attempting to judge the merit of a collection of 66 books written by dozens of authors that span over hundreds of years by your opinion of a single one of those books.

If a person is genuinely interested in something I can help them with, I am happy to do so, but you are so indigestibly pseudo-intellectual I couldn't imagine even why I would even pretend to care.

Just don't read it, your opinion is obviously prefabricated. There's no sense in wasting your precious time
>>
>>8171023
Forgot to mention but the "in spirit" part is important too and "poverty is not only a physical condition, but also a spiritual one. Schweizer feels the extra note asserts that simply being poor is not a ticket into heaven, but rather only those who understand the nature of real poverty are blessed."

See:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_5:3
>>
>>8171049
There are far more important things on my reading list thank you. It was nice of you to attempt, but I want a Christian's output thank you.

Job going once... Job going twice... (which am I to (probably) waste my time reading hmmm)
>>
>>8171050
This is nice to know, but not redeemable enough.
>>
>>8171049
>written by dozens of authors

Fact check that with the theologians.
>>
>>8171014
>Thirdly, translation is important. I recommend New King James.
>not young's literal
>>
>>8171057
Let me sum up job for you:

Life is a never-ending shitstorm. You have no choice but to take it as it comes.
>>
>>8171084
more like:

"hey satan get a load of this cuck I can do whatever I want to him and he just takes it"
>>
oooh thats the Job story. I remember it now from a South Park episode.

See, the thing is I'm trying to purge my mind from bullshit. If there are no great lessons to be taken from Job outside of 'le devil/world is le mean', I will not. Thank you /lit/
>>
>>8171112
The books of the Bible are short and can be read in a matter of minutes.

You could have read the entirety of the Gospels in the time you've been posting in this thread.
>>
>>8171128
But this is more proactive, whereas the Bible is passive nihilistic. I'll scope the gospels for truth though
>>
>>8170999
>can't handle something he disagrees with (or, rather, thinks he disagrees with out of misunderstanding)
>desperately anxious about being perceived as a cuck for turning the other cheek / loving your adversary
drink bleach
i mean that in the most loving way possible
>>
>>8171352
Get your fucking spoiler out of here, cretin. I know damn well what you Christians call kindness. I turned the other cheek because I moved past that. End thread. End book. YOUR GOD IS DEAD \M/
>>
>>8171112
see >>8171027
>>
I finally made it to the New Testament, phew
>>
>>8170242
That's unofficial fanfiction
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.