[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Could anyone here recommend some books that can help one overcome
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4
File: tumblr_mtg89xrqC91qlp4x9o1_500.gif (827 KB, 500x280) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mtg89xrqC91qlp4x9o1_500.gif
827 KB, 500x280
Could anyone here recommend some books that can help one overcome misanthropy?

I've never met anyone who I really respected, admired or loved. A minute number of those I've encountered were just OK, while the majority were too heavily flawed to like, and some even difficult to endure. I've never really detested anyone, but I've never loved anyone either. I just feel a vague sense of disappointment or disgust towards the people I meet. It's as if I've been waiting my whole life to find someone who I could truly admire.

Maybe the most bitter aspect is the knowledge that I myself am deeply flawed (more than most in fact) and yet still can't forgive the flaws of others. I know that I'm really no better than those I dislike, but that doesn't prevent me from disliking them. I'm disgusted with myself because of this.
>>
the holy bible
>>
>>8169588
You hate yourself, not others.

Get yourself together, anime faggot

Also, take this shit to /r9k/, you're on the literature board.
>>
the idiot.
>>
Dhammapada and buddhism in general.
>>
Franny and Zooey by Salinger

Do it for the fat lady, my friend.
>>
>>8170008
franny and zooey? how does that make you non misanthropic?

it makes you more, if anything.
>>
>>8169588
Have you considered lifting? Lifting's good. Also stop drinking all soft drinks and start sleeping reasonable hours.

And I'm keeping that gif in case I ever decide to start making FutureFunk.
>>
>>8169588
God that film was great
>>
>>8169599

angel's egg is the only lit anime.
>>
>>8169588
You hate others more than yourself, which is the evident flaw. You project your dissatisfaction outwards.

Anyway, read Critical Theory: Minima Moralia and One-Dimensional Man. This will not ''help you overcome misanthropy'' but maybe allow you to look in the mirror and analyze what is going on with yourself as to feel this way.

Outside of that read Nietzsche. If you haven't, start with Untimely Meditations. If you have knowledge of the greeks, including the tragedies, then start with The Birth of Tragedy but follow up with Untimely Meditations. Nietzsche has to be read chronologically.
>>
>>8169588
Me too desu.
I like to read books that I really admire and think about how the person that wrote it was probably something like me.

>>8171266
This will only make it worse. Ever since I started lifting and eating healthy, I feel like 100% more arrogant.
>>
File: 80bddf63fb.jpg (79 KB, 1000x702) Image search: [Google]
80bddf63fb.jpg
79 KB, 1000x702
>>8171331
>i'm a dumb faggot

Watch pic related next and work on that entry-level anime taste
>>
>>8171337
Well shit, I don't know. Maybe some of us are just so great that we're entitled to hate the dark masses. Misanthropy is only a problem if you think it is.
>>
File: Complete_Manual_of_Suicide.jpg (45 KB, 390x577) Image search: [Google]
Complete_Manual_of_Suicide.jpg
45 KB, 390x577
>>8169588
>sad anime gif
>from tumblr
>edgy-ass post dripping with self-pity
>thinly veiled "X for this feel" thread where you really just wanted to blog
I recommend this
>>
>>8169588
You admire yourself.

Read notes from the underground.
>>
>>8171339

thankfully too occupied with adult pursuits to form anything beyond entry-level "anime taste"
I'm sure your cartoons about cats and little girls are very sophisticated though.
>>
>>8171349
You complete fucking ass.
>>
>>8171349
It actually is. More sophisticated than babbys first arthouse anime 'tenshi no tamago'
>>
>>8171354
I am on your team, but do NOT talk shit about Angel's Egg.
Got any artsy anime recs?
>>
In Search of Lost Time made me less misanthropic. No other novel has had anywhere near the effect it had on me. I haven't read De Botton's "How Proust Can Change Your Life", and I don't plan to, but I imagine the novel had similar effects on his life. It really changed me for the better.
>>
>>8171354

What if I were to tell you that my favorite anime is Dragon Ball Z?
>>
>>8171364
tenshi no tamago is one of my favourite films.

Kanashimi no Belladonna
Meikyu Monogatari
I can't recall more names on the fly. Look for the huge-ass Anime recommendation image, it has a decent ''Artsy'' section

>>8171367
No biggie, just don't go around and claim that the only lit anime is Tenshi no tamago.
>>
>>8171371

Sorry, I don't speak gook, what is Tenshi no tomato?
>>
>>8171371
Seen Belladonna, it was great.
Isn't the artsy section pretty small and not obscure at all?
I might be thinking of the wrong chart though.
>>
>>8171375
>this is the type of reddit-tier humor /lit/ has succumbed to
>>
If you ever met someone truly lovable, or respectable, or admirable--if you ever gazed into something that was the Truth... you would stop being as you are now. You would die. You want to die. Do you understand that? There might be a you that does not hate others as you do now, but that won't be you as you are now. You won't live to see it. So your search is completely pointless. Not only is it pointless, it's also unnecessary, because a degree of dislike is necessary to live at all. If you see see flaws on others, it's likely they do have flaws. It's not wrong for you to see them, but that you judge them with contempt and do nothing to help them, what does that say about you? You're only a human being, leave universals and great judgements to the divine. Whatever change you're looking for won't come by your hand and won't be what you think.

Anyway go read the Ego and Its Own. It's a meme for a reason.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.