[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>struggle to read 50 pages a day >decide to reread ASOIAF
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: -6.jpg (11 KB, 300x288) Image search: [Google]
-6.jpg
11 KB, 300x288
>struggle to read 50 pages a day
>decide to reread ASOIAF for the 4th time
>(since the new one is coming out soon)
>read 250 pages a day for 4 days straight and counting
>reading until I actually cannot keep my eyes open

what is wrong with me?
>>
You like reading books you like
>>
>>8169418
It's called an easy book.
Martin requires 1/5 of mental attention usual real literature does, 1/10 of say Moby Dick.
>>
>>8169418
>qt-pa2-t
>>
>>8169418
ehhh, if that's what you like then fair enough. though tbqh im sure theres better fantasy out there. not saying everyone has to read highbrow literature but even if you "read for the plot" whats the point when you've already read it 4 times? dont you know whats going to happen? if not for the plot why?
>>
>>8169438
>not saying everyone has to read highbrow literature but even if you "read for the plot" whats the point when you've already read it 4 times?

man I still pick up on shit the 4th time around that works into theories i have thought about since the last time I read them, which was when the show came out. (started reading when the 3rd book came out)

the dude came up with some elaborate conspiracies
>>
File: 1436925966294.jpg (604 KB, 2048x1628) Image search: [Google]
1436925966294.jpg
604 KB, 2048x1628
nothing's wrong dude, just enjoy what books you enjoy.
>>
>>8169418
You're a pleb - plain and simple.
>>
Go for short stories that interest you. Once you've gotten a few under your belt then go bigger.
I made the mistake of borrowing huge doorstopers and then I never could read then before it was time to return them.
>>
>>8169609
It's clear OP is fine with doorstoppers though.
>>
>>8169458
Not to defend ASoIaF, but its plot just can't all be assimilated in one reading. The main threads of it can, but unless you keep a notebook while you read, you're going to see things on a second read you wouldn't have before.
>>
It's normal same thing happens with me I remember reading 200 pages a day when I read ASOIAF
the books are fun
Also ellie kendrick is CUTE
>>
>>8169418
This is a public service announcement for all newcomers to /lit/ brought to you by a /lit/ patrician™. Those of us who have long called this board home have noticed a significant deterioration in posting quality and an influx of plebs in the last few months that within the past week has become acute. We can attribute this to the Katie fiasco making the front page of reddit or one of our top 100 book lists being posted on reddit and getting over a million views or other events but whatever we blame it on doesn't change the facts of the matter which is that plebs who don't belong here are shitting threads up.

Thus, this public service announcement was made for those who are determined to stay even if they are way over their heads. Here are some important things you need to get through your head if you are going to stay and post without being ridiculed. Take notes.

1. Under no circumstances will you ever praise any book taught in a standard high school curriculum as anything but an enjoyable read from your past that you don't care much about now. The vast majority of books taught in high-school are complete pleb shit. The only exceptions to this are Nabokov and Conrad as they are taught at some schools.

2. Genre-fiction is pleb trash and anyone who reads it frequently should be curb-stomped. If you are going to post in bookshelf threads then take your GRR Martin et al., off of the shelf before you photograph it you retards. Don't ever mention genre-fiction unless its in a containment thread specifically for it.

3. Israel did 9/11

4. Don't ever defend yourself by inferring or saying that the person ridiculing you is doing the "stop liking what I don't like". This will instantly reveal you to be a mega-pleb. There is objectively bad literature and roughly 85% of the time people here are being honest with you when they say an author you like is trash.

5. Don't ever bring identity politics into threads on /lit/. We are here to discuss literature and not women or minorities. If you want to have a thread asking about favorite women authors thats fine but don't ever attempt to use "all white men etc" as an argument to detract from something. Also don't ever ask why literature from African authors isn't more popular (its mostly shit). Bringing up identity bullshit needlessly irritates even most left-wing /lit/ posters.

6. /Lit/s harsh attitude towards plebs and pleb books is a necessary and vital part of the board as it helps maintain a homeostasis of quality by weeding out and discouraging plebs from posting.

7. Anything by Douglas Addams, Harper Lee, Joseph Heller, Vonnegut, Bret Easton Ellis, Palahniuk, or Orwell is complete pleb trash and not to be mentioned.

8. Start with the Greeks

Brought to you by a /lit/ patrician™. For those of you who are already patricians™, don't give up hope. For those of you who are newcomers, at least try to make it less obvious.
>>
>>8169667
Eat shit and die.
>>
>>8169644
Oh fuck I'm retarded
>>
>>8169418
>ASOIAF

please. keep reading Harry Potter and Twilight later.
>>
>>8169423
How much of the Iliad?
>>
Read "Beyond the Black River" by Robert E Howard.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.