[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the best books on writing, /lit/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4
File: Writing.jpg (634 KB, 1612x2072) Image search: [Google]
Writing.jpg
634 KB, 1612x2072
What are the best books on writing, /lit/?
>>
Certainly not Strunk and White.
>>
At Swim-Two-Birds
>>
Just read books written by masters of the craft and write everyday. Guides are as useful as fucking horoscopes.
>>
Strunk and White

Daily reminder that On Writing is just tumblr level writer inspo w/ no actual technical advice
>>
>>8168973
>fell for the meme
>>
>>8168978
strunk and white are literally gospel in journalism school

my mom keeps it on her bedside table
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 4032x3024
In my desk at work.
>>
>>8168986
Well journalists suck so that's not surprising.
>>
every first draft of anything I finish I reread Story by Robert McKee and adjust my work accordingly

It's a screenwriting book but it's BOSS

Literally anyone could read it and so long as they followed what he says to do they would write something decent
>>
File: 0764552724.jpg (70 KB, 300x374) Image search: [Google]
0764552724.jpg
70 KB, 300x374
I don't know, but I just bought Poetry for Dummies (Written by The Poetry Center in San Fran, John Timpane, and Maureen Watts. And I have to say so far it's actually really good.

It has sections on understanding poetry, the history of poetry, and writing poetry. Oh, and there are a lot of good poems in it.
>>
>>8168910
How Not To Write A Novel was surprisingly good
>>
>>8168986
Journalistic writing is some of the worst writing there is, afester with elegant variation and barbarisms.
>>
>>8171244
Tvtropes tier.
>>
File: Ernest Hemingway on Writing.jpg (64 KB, 600x932) Image search: [Google]
Ernest Hemingway on Writing.jpg
64 KB, 600x932
What about this?
>>
"Story" by Robert McKee
"The Art of Dramatic Writing" by Lajos Egri
"Screenwriting 101" by FilmCritHulk
>>
On Writing Well by William Zinsser
>>
>>8171804
>le first draft of le anything is le shit xDDD i said shit!
>>
>>8168910
>>how to write <genre>
>literally every other book on the chart

>none of the famous books about screenwriting e.g. >>8171819 , even though the screenwriting ones are the best

>stephen king on """"writing""""

>>"""/Lit""" on writing

I can see how tumblr raids of 4chan might actually be a real thing
>>
Are any of these by significant writers?
>>
>>8171819
>"Story" by Robert McKee

trash

>"Screenwriting 101" by FilmCritHulk

feel-good platitudinal trash

>>8168973
>Strunk and White

trash

>>8173349
no
>>
>>8168910
>Merriam-Webster instead of the OED
>needing a mediocre writer to teach you to be a mediocre writer also

>>8171723
>afester
>>
>>8173400
What's wrong with "afester"?
>>
>>8173383
Great arguments. You really convinced me of your opinion
>>
>>8173927
it's shit. you want "festering"
>>
Read real lit theory if you want technical knowledge, while considering how flawed lit theory is.

Why would you ever want one of these retarded cooking recipes for success?
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.