[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we talk about nihilism? I'm by no means an expert on
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: h.jpg (53 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
h.jpg
53 KB, 1920x1200
Can we talk about nihilism?

I'm by no means an expert on the subject, but based on what I've read/heard/gathered I would consider myself an active nihilist [if that's a real thing] somebody who believes everything is meaningless but doesn't wallow in the idea, just pursues assigning personal meaning to things in their life.

Is nihilism damaging/unhealthy? What exactly is nihilism? Is there any good nihilistic literature or should I be seeking out literature that's opposed to nihilism?

I hope this thread doesn't break any rules and isn't obnoxious, I'm just uneducated on the matter and curious.
>>
>>8166962
fuck off and go read a book, moron
>>
What you are is a real nihilist, as opposed to a high school nihilist
>>
>>8166965
Not trying to defend myself, really. I get why you're upset, but I'm actually reading labyrinths right now. Just wanted to make this thread.
>>
Nihilism is a symptom, both on personal and social/philosophical levels.

In terms of one's personal experience, nihilism is generally a symptom of anhedonia (the inability to experience pleasure). It is an intellectualized way of vocalizing an emotional experience of pointlessness or aimlessness.

Philosophically, nihilism is a symptom of the death of god and the rise of scientific materialism. When the observations of science are correlated into a full picture of the world, we rightly feel that there is no place or purpose for human consciousness.

Existentialism, which is essentially the creation of personal meaning in the absence of universal truth, is one way of responding to the malaise of nihilism. For me, seeing nihilism as a symptom rather than a state-of-affairs in itself, an approach which tackles the root problem is more effective and interesting.
>>
>>8167011
this was very interesting, thank you. So instead of looking at life as a nihilist, you think it's best to count feelings of nihilism as something that comes about naturally and it should be worked through with other philosophies like existentialism?
>>
>>8166962
Bruh what does it matter

You're a living, pragmatic being

Think like one and focus on doin u while not harming others

You're here now, one day you won't be. How absurd!
>>
>>8166971
What is a high school nihilist
>>
>>8167034

OP basically.

>nihilist
>meaning

I'd avise him to either grow up or leave the United States to seek robust education.
>>
>>8167040
Why does everyone have their own concept of "real" or "fake" nihilism
>>
>>8167055
probably the same reason we call people out for being "edgy"
>>
>>8166962
>Can we talk about nihilism

We talk about it every day famalam.
>>
>>8167319
what we talk about when we talk about nihilism.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.