[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My wife wants me to read this book (and ostensibly the two books
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: GoldenCompass4.jpg (45 KB, 304x500) Image search: [Google]
GoldenCompass4.jpg
45 KB, 304x500
My wife wants me to read this book (and ostensibly the two books following).
But I'm a few chapters in, and it's kind of a slog.

Why am I having such a hard time getting into it?
>>
>>8165681
Uh, because it's a children's book?

Is your wife 11 years old?
>>
>>8165681
Because it's a children's book and you're most likely an adult or at least something resembling one. Just tell her that you're not into it. Don't be a pussy.
>>
>>8165689
She is heavily into young adult fiction.
I agreed to read this to get her to read The Once and Future King.
Maybe Ivanhoe next.
I am trying to work her up to Dank Quijote.
>>
>>8165704
I'll read it, I'm just going to complain about it the whole way through.
I did the same thing once when a roommate wanted me to read John Dies At The End.
>>
>>8165681
It does get better as the story progresses. Though, as people say, it is meant for a younger demographic. The later books in the series have some interesting ideas.
>>
>>8165716
This isn't even YA though, it's straight up a children's book. That sounds like a really shitty compromise. I wouldn't want to be saddled with something like this in exchange for getting someone to read a book that isn't garbage.
>>
>>8165742
That's good to know

Is the whole thing like "blah blah, allegories for Christianity" ?
I got more than enough of that for a lifetime when I was 15.
>>
>>8165726
Don't be a passive-aggressive bitch, my man

>>8165776
Not really allegories, it's all pretty blatant. As far as kids' books go though you could do a lot worse. First one is the best, 2nd one has some interesting ideas but doesn't really go anywhere with them. 3rd is pretty good but way too long, though it has some of my favorite scenes in the whole series.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.