[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Say you accept the sisyphean nature of existence, like Camus
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: 448662_orig.jpg (35 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
448662_orig.jpg
35 KB, 480x480
Say you accept the sisyphean nature of existence, like Camus describes it. Is there an opposite reaction to the "happy Sisyphus"?
I mean, it sounds absurd (kek) to happily stroll along when the Absurd strikes you with shit just like if it stroked you with the good things. Maybe I understood it wrong but I read it as accepting the bullshit and not fighting back. Help a friend to try and understand better existentialism, I've been struggling with it for a while.
>>
>>8164640
Suicide.
>>
>>8164643
Accept it or kill yourself, is it that extreme?
>>
>>8164640
>i read it as accepting the bullshit and not fighting back
it's more acknowledging the inherent absurdity of the world and, more importantly, recognizing that it is immeasurably larger than you. "Fighting back" is a foolish response against an infinite system that doesn't acknowledge you.
>>
File: rebel.jpg (64 KB, 413x640) Image search: [Google]
rebel.jpg
64 KB, 413x640
>>8164645
As I understand it:

>Accept it
Camus isn't arguing for a passive acceptance, he is arguing for a kind of rebellion that admits hopelessness.

>kill yourself
Not necessarily meaning a physical suicide. You could commit philosophical suicide by taking a leap of faith, etc.
>>
>>8164648
This. And there is almost a feeling of Sisyphus transcending the absurdity while he trudges through his own absurd task.
>>
>>8164660
>he is arguing for a kind of rebellion that admits hopelessness
It now starts to make sense, I missed the reaction. From what I've been reading existentialism seemed to be very passive, stoic.
>>
>>8164679
Maybe it is.

tbqh it's been a long ass time since I read him.
>>
>>8164679
>existentialism seemed to be very passive, stoic.

You would be better off calling that nihilism.
>>
>>8164694
Well if it is, I think I understood why it doesn't clicked with me. Philosophically speaking at least, the human mind can alter the route to that "nothingness" crisis nihilists talk about. It's the same thing with Nietzsche, he says we're walking towards an entropy balance of though be we obviously can revert it, we have the will to do it.

>>8164736
That is basically why I struggle so much understanding the concept, it's so close to nihilism.
>>
File: babysfirstexistentialcrisis.jpg (513 KB, 2048x1366) Image search: [Google]
babysfirstexistentialcrisis.jpg
513 KB, 2048x1366
>>8164741
>>
>>8164761
I can't really see the difference between Nietzsche's and Camus' approach from that chart.
>>
>>8164877

They're both saying to do whatever you want, except for Nietzsche you're doing that in the pursuit of meaning, and will create your own meaning, whereas Camus says do whatever the fuck you want, because why the fuck not, and in doing so you will transcend the meaninglessness of the world. Watch this video, it's pretty much a perfect summary of Camus, and it's really beautiful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvDXlDxMnb4

>you could kill yourself, or others doing this
>so fucking what?

and, in true Camus style, it was all for a woman
>>
>>8164923
Beautiful post
>>
>>8164640
Not accept the bullshit

Accept that bullshit happens and that it's going to happen to you

As long as you're still able your still good
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.