[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is writing? Why do we write?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: this_is_me.jpg (19 KB, 350x263) Image search: [Google]
this_is_me.jpg
19 KB, 350x263
What is writing?

Why do we write?
>>
So we can learn to sharpen our pencils, Alfred.
>>
We ought to write for existence itself because only existence exists; we are only its dream. The existence calls to its dream, and so I answer.
>>
It makes you feel as if you are doing something meaningful/with purpose, so you don't loath yourself in boredom.
>>
writing is my talent. i write because not doing so would be a waste of the gift
>>
To convey meaning in a more concrete and relateable way
>>
Language is a virus whose endgame is to spread as far as possible without a moment of respite. I say we do its work and continue to infect, but then again I am language so of course I'd say that.
>>
Writing is a form of communication.

We do it because we can't help it. Really, just try to go for a few weeks without writing. You'll start to get bad dreams, and you'll start to feel congested.
>>
Writing and Reading is the best kind of life.
>>
>What is writing?

A technology developed by humans in the Mediterranean/Middle East. It made life easier for humans who had to rely on memory and oral tradition to keep culture alive.

>Why do we write?

To remember.
>>
>Why do we write?
To learn who we are
>>
>>8167085
language became written out of administrative needs
>>
>>8165799
did you meant thinking? idiot
>>
Writings are expressions of ideas.

(Beneath that, but not /lit/, is factual information.)

Speaking is the most socially acceptable way to talk to one another.

Writing is considered more difficult, but is still respected and more often than not held in higher regard.

Whether it's a letter, a novel, a short story, it's an idea of expressionism and for the reader, it's a way to get in contact with you.

We seem to have a native need to make connections, as we are doing posting here.
>>
Humans, and macroscopic life in general, are symbolic in nature. We understand our world not on its own, but through symbols. Language is the most intricate system of symbolic communication seen this far; we are essentially trapped in it whether we like it or not. Thus, to write and to read to live. More specifically, it is how we can understand the world around us, and each other.
>>
>>8164598
This sounds like the introductory lecture slides of ENGLIT 101.
>>
>>8165388
Eh. By this logic, biological life is all just viruses as well. Language is more analoguous to genetic drift; its in a constant state of flux and exists only as a vehicle for the transmission of purposeful information.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.