[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Have you read the entire works of any authour(s)? Who?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 5
File: vlcsnap-2016-06-03-15h54m31s573.png (273 KB, 814x354) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2016-06-03-15h54m31s573.png
273 KB, 814x354
Have you read the entire works of any authour(s)? Who?
>>
>>8164137
Lovecraft. Some gems and a lot of trash, honestly.
>>
>>8164137
Philip K. Dick. His straightforward prose is easy to digest, and his books aren't very long.

Once I read "The Unvanquished", "Pylon", and "The Reivers", I'll have conquered the Corncob Chronicler.
>>
Bulgakov
Borges
Emily Dickinson
Pushkin
>>
>>8164137
A couple are close, but I don't think I've ever read absolutely everything.

I've read 3/4 of John Williams (just his first novella missing which doesn't really interest me much)
I've read all of Kraszahorkai's stuff that's been translated
I've read (almost) all of Celine's stuff that's been translated. Probably won't finish him off, the Manheims are the only translations worth reading and his middle-era stuff is significantly weaker anyway.
>>
>>8164178
>I've read 3/4 of John Williams
I recommend you read this as well. His commentaries are good.
>>
So many poets I can't count them. Also Austen, Tolstoy and George Eliot.
>>
Woolf.
>>
>>8164137
PKD, except for the unpublished parts of the exegesis.
>>
>>8164190

>Reading all of Austen

Just.....why...
>>
>>8164263

Because she wrote only six novels (and some juvenilia), and they're all pretty good.
>>
>>8164150
>Some gems
For example?
Also, why did you do that to yourself?
>>
>>8164289

What's good about Pride and Prejudice, for example?
>>
>>8164315
The text
>>
A bunch?

Homer, Asturias, Salinger, Barker, Gaiman, Ellis, Tolkien, Fleming, Lovecraft, Poe, Flaubert, Baudelaire, what's translated of Sade, and most importantly, Orwell, amongst many more that've slipped my mind.

>>8164299
>For example?
Obviously not him, but I like his Dream Cycle more than his Cthulhu mythos. Not that I don't like the Cthulhu mythos, it's just that the Dream Cycle is more enjoyable.
>>
>>8164137
Marlon James
>>
>>8164137
Film name?
>>
I've read the entirety of Ludovici, Nietzsche (including all of his letters) and Darren Shan.
>>
>>8164178
How does the rest of Celine stack up to Journey into the Night?
>>
Hesse
I regret nothing
>>
Schopenhauer and Kant, Plato and Aristotle.
>>
Unironically Brandon Sanderson.
He's my fantasy fix.
>>
>>8164394
Any surprisingly interesting Aristotle?
>>
>>8164336

Ok, so either you didn't read it or you're too stupid to give an informed opinion.
Consistent with the /lit/ ethos at least.
>>
>>8164415
Literally everything.
>>
>>8164394
how much of it do you think you missed the point?
>>
>>8164395
This. He's very easy to get through.

Also Borges and Toole I guess.
>>
>>8164434
Answer is here.
>>
>>8164379
Violent Virgin (1969). It's good.
>>
>>8164137
bb taotao, seriously
>>
James Joyce is really the only one i'm positive i've gotten through

I'm at near completion with Kafka but I know there has to be some short stories I haven't seen yet. I also haven't read his diaries either
>>
Pynchon
Borges
McCarthy
Kafka
O'Connor
Abe
Auster
Cortazar
>>
>>8164421
Or he doesn't feel the need to justify himself for enjoying a book.
>>
>>8164385
Death on the Installment plan is an extremely good book. Hilarious, stylistically more developed than Journey (he uses the ... to much greater effect in Death).

The Chateau trilogy (Castle to Castle, North, Rigadoon) I have a mixed opinion about. Stylistically it's very well-designed; Celine pushing the style of fractured thought shrapnel to it's furthest conclusion.
But they don't have the same magic the first two do. The sequence of events is tenous at best because Celine no longer worries himself about maintaining a train of thought and gets sidetracked literally every page, and the social observations are pretty much gone. Like having a cup of coffee with Celine and listening to him tell rambling stories.
Gorgeous for the writing but overall not as good as the first two.

The middle books that don't have Manheim translations (London Bridge, Normance, etc.) are kind of ugly ducklings. Not terrible, but mediocre compared to the rest of his work.

And then there's the meme anti-semite pamphlets.
>>
pic semi-related
>>
>>8164556
u read Pomes Penyeach?
>>
File: image.jpg (100 KB, 640x586) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
100 KB, 640x586
>>8164600
Bruh....welcome to my Joyce library

Poems: check
Exiles: check
Children's book: check
Biographies: check
Critical essays and guides: check
>>
None yet, but I'm consciously working my way through Ballard, Burroughs, Kafka, Gibson, and Alan Moore
>>
>>8164633
Do you have his letters?
>>
>>8164633
>No Stephen Hero
>>
>>8164664
I have not been lucky enough to stumble across that, nor have I even thought that those may have been compiled yet. Guess i've got another for the list to track down

>>8164670
Ehhhhhhh
>>
Anne Frank desu
>>
>>8164647
I'm nearly through all of Burroughs. Haven't read Junkie yet, still have to finish The Place of Dead Roads and the Western Lands.

Wish I could find some Ballard at my local bookshop. They never have any.

Also, I've nearly finished reading all of Baudrillard's books, though there's a lot of untranslated articles still in French.
>>
I've read all of the surviving works of some Greeks, but that's only a few paragraphs for some of them. I was going to say I read everything by Lemony Snicket as a kid but I guess he wrote some books outside that one series.
>>
>>8164371
>Tolkien
Seriously? Every single money grab published by his estate?
>>
>>8164394
>Aristotle
Share the hitherto believed to have been lost writings like a good anon.
>>
>>8164633
i'll let you off this time
>>
>>8164394
>Aristotle
even his outdated botany textbooks?
ive read plato's dialogues though. did you read his spurious dialogues?
>>
Milan Kundera
>>
>>8164433
Dub dubs confirm.

I've read both ethics, politics, metaphysics, rhetoric, poetics, and on the soul. Where should I go next?
>>
>>8164137
No but I've read Joyce's main four, everything by Pynchon expect Against the Day, and most of DFW's fiction with the exception of Girl with Curious Hair and The Pale King.
>>
>ctrl+f shakespeare
>no results

stay pleb /lit/
>>
>>8164756
Reading all of Shakespeare is a waste of time. There are maybe 8 plays that are essential, the rest are mediocre and skippable, as for his poetry, no one here really reads poetry.
>>
>>8164769
hamlet
king lear
othello
macbeth
richard iii
king john
midsummer night's dream
the tempest
twelfth night
henry v
henry iv part 1, 2
coriolanus
cymbeline
measure for measre

that's already 14. i can go on. there are <5 i would say are completely skippable.
>>
>>8164778
Twelfth Night was entirely skippable
>>
>>8164831
Nope, that was a great play.
It was one of T.S. Eliot's favorites and I'm sure he has better taste than you. It's worth it just for the allusions in his poetry.
>>
>>8164137
Nabokov except the uncollected short stories and criticisms.
>>
>>8164778
The Taming of the Shrew and As You Like It?
>>
>>8164841
No, it was incredibly mediocre

Little to no motive or reason for why half the things happen (Viola just randomly loves Orsino after three days, Andrew being a fuccboi to Viola, etc)

The comedy of the twins being the same person doesnt even really come in until the very end and even that isn't really of note or much humor

The whole thing is rushed

Malvolio alone is the only worthy piece
>>
>>8164861
>he reads shakespeare for plot

wew
>>
>>8164867
>reading Shakespeare's comedies he wrote for cash the same way you would Lear

Do you also do in delth analyses of Ingmar Bergman's comedies
>>
>>8164831
you might actually be retarded
>>
>>8164158
>Implying you've read anything close to the complete works of Dickinson
Fuck out of here
>>
>>8164315
the biting irony and (often humorous) character construction- she makes a very obvious, seemingly uninteresting premise (women w/ some $ needs husband blah blah) into an indictment of early 19th century norms. you should read austen sometime, it'll make you sound like less of an idiot
>>
>>8164452
>A bunch of young hipsters kidnaps a loving couple and keeps them trapped in a barren landscape. To the sounds of free jazz they are performing various experiments with the couple. In the distance is a yakuza gang keeping track of the youths. Who are really experimenting with whom?
edgy
>>
>>8164872
All Bergman films are comedies.
>>
>>8164778
don't forget the sonnets
>>
sappho, homer, aeschylus, emily bronte, ralph ellison, john kennedy toole, sylvia plath, jd salinger
>>
>>8164962
>john kennedy toole
wew lad
>>
>>8164974
well, ive read all of his books.
>>
Charles Dickens, except for Our Mutual Friend, which I'm saving for right before I die.
>>
>>8164394
Reading is different from understanding. Philosophy isn't meant to be gobbled up like a novel.
>>
>>8164980
What if you die unexpectedly?
>>
>reading an authors complete bibliography
Whoa, that's terrible
>>
>>8164137
Tolkien, Nietzsche, Matheson, Thomas Wolfe
>>
>>8164958
Ok den
>>
>>8164980

See you in another life brother.
>>
File: pid_5885.jpg (91 KB, 393x600) Image search: [Google]
pid_5885.jpg
91 KB, 393x600
>>8164995
>Nietzsche
you sure about that bro?
>>
>>8164995
http://www.sup.org/nietzsche/list/

breh
>>
I'm two novels (Slapstick and Player Piano) away from finishing Kurt Vonnegut.
>>
Kierkegaard and Rimbaud.

(Kierkegaard has 23 volumes and Rimbaud only has 1.)
>>
>>8164156
Corncob Chronicler I lol'd, don't worry about Faulkner's ehh works.
>>
Do you mean just his novels or have you also read all of his short stories and things like God Bless You, Dr. Kevorkian, his play Happy Birthday, Wanda June, and his collection of speeches, essays, and interviews Foma, Wampeters, and Granfalloons?
>>
>>8164915
>Complete Poems
>Complete Letters
What did i miss a fuckin screenplay or something...
>>
>>8166611
>thinking the published poems and letters constitute everything Dickinson wrote.
>>
>>8164844
What's the closest in style to Lolita? I've read Pnin and Pale Fire and they are just not hitting the right chords with me. I'm going to read either Despair and Ada next and then probably give up.
>>
>>8164684
ayy
>>
>>8164743
How bout Aquinas?
>>
>>8164988
A bibliography is just a list of their works. Stop using that word incorrectly.
>>
Pynchon
Nabokov
soon, Hawkes
my three favourites
>>
>>8167112
The Enchanter is the obvious answer. His earlier work is what you'd expect it to be, and the stuff that came after is full of metafictional whatever. Lolita is Lolita. He didn't write two masterpieces.
>>
>>8164178
I like you.
I've read everything by Fitzgerald, Melville, and Whitman. I've read a lot of Faulkner but by no means all. Pynchon I've done everything except Against the Day. I think I've read all of Walser and Zweig I could find translated but I doubt it's all. Other than people with just one book I think that's it.
>>
>>8164633
Shoutout to Wyndham Lewis, good job.
>>
>>8164707
I played D&D religiously throughout the 2000s.
>>
did the salinger
>>
Just Kidding Rowling
Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.