[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I guess there's a timeless element to fiction, and we could
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: 1464177298393.jpg (88 KB, 417x498) Image search: [Google]
1464177298393.jpg
88 KB, 417x498
I guess there's a timeless element to fiction, and we could certainly find wisdom and great ideas in older literature and philosophy - but do you ever feel like you're wasting time reading the Greeks and/or these repetitious texts on age-old moral philosophy, when you could've read things that are more current and practical to us?
>>
>>8164000
>things that are more current
No, s'all bad.
>practical to us
I'm sorry, are we still talking fiction here?
>>
>>8164006
>I'm sorry, are we still talking fiction here?
nope. Let's say you spent your time learning of modern terrorism and fear, or the Syrian conflict and consequences of it, or the environment issues and their urgency/non-urgency.
>>
>>8164011
>nope
Well then sure, I'll be reading a modern manual or two and perhaps a DIY magazine instead of Hero of Alexandria's Mecanica.
>>
>>8164000
works applicable to present day conditions are not necessarily written during modern times.

if you're questioning whether something is worth reading or not, then you should determine this before you read any longer. the works you read specifically should be tailored to your aims instead of what others say is proper, as the aims of any reader/writer are rather unique regardless of direct motivation.
>>
>>8164000
No.
>>
>>8164000
Sometimes, but I try to remind myself that having an in-depth understanding of foundational texts is helpful to understanding more recent ones.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.