[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
1920s/1930s period literature
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: 2i6sxXq.jpg (347 KB, 900x708) Image search: [Google]
2i6sxXq.jpg
347 KB, 900x708
Looking for good fiction/nonfiction written during, or I suppose about, the interwar period (WWI/II). Largely for cultural research, but also for fun. Any recommendations? I'd be willing to branch into during-either-war as well.
>>
Brave New World was published in 32 and is breddy gud. read it understanding the context of the era and it'll make ya think
>>
>Joyce
>Faulkner
>Woolf
You literally can't go wrong in the interwar period/
>>
In the US:

The Great Gatsby (20s)
The Grapes of Wrath (30s)
>>
>>8163891
W.G. Sebald. Thank me later.
>>
Isherwood's Berlin Stories. Waugh's Scoop is great for the period when everyone thought WWII wouldn't happen; Brideshead Revisisted is a good span of the changing attitudes of the period too in Britain. Anais Nin's diaries if you want the skinny on the Lost Generation in Paris.
>>
>>8163891
Pretty much all of Hemingway was written during and about the interwar period.
>>
Joseph Roth - The Spider's Web
Alfred Döblin - Berlin Alexanderplatz
>>
somerset Maugham you stupid fucks
>>
Henry Miller - Tropic of Cancer/Tropic of Capricorn
James T Farrell - Young Lonigan
William S Burroughs - Queer
Joseph Pla - The Gray Notebook
Nathanael West - Day of the Locusts + Miss Lonelyhearts
Wyndham Lewis - The Apes of God
Nella Larsen - Passing
>>
>>8164551
Oh also Journey to the End of the Night
>>
Hans Fallada's novels, if you're interested in a German perspective.
>>
The Jungle
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.