[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So why does /lit/ shit on e-readers yet approve of Audio books.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 123
Thread images: 8
So why does /lit/ shit on e-readers yet approve of Audio books. This makes no sense to me.
>>
>>8163315
I shit on audio books, and approve of e-readers. You are wrong on your consensus of /lit/.
>>
>>8163335
Are you /lit/?
>>
>>8163371
/lit/ approves of some e-readers such as kobo and kindle
>>
>>8163335
I'm with this guy
>>
>>8163315
e-readers are for contrarian faggots who think they're being cool and against the system for having been conned into buying a gameboy to read from
>>
>>8163315
Audiobooks are for long car rides.

I was anti e-book until I had to move twice in the same year and the only thing I really own is a metric ton of books. That shit was a hassle, now I'm looking at Kobos
>>
I cant stand readers. Something about print is easier on my eyes. I dont even say that as a dirty hipster like most of lit. I wish I liked readers because I travel a ton and books are heavy. That said, I used to hate audio books but love them now seeing as I can listen to a book and appear to be working which really makes the day go by faster.
>>
>>8163315
The only use for e-readers is when you can't bring tons of physical books with you. I own a kindle but I still bring physical books with me if I can.
>>
>on the road
>e reader runs out of juice
>can no longer read

kys
>>
File: 1411783888073.jpg (112 KB, 385x562) Image search: [Google]
1411783888073.jpg
112 KB, 385x562
>>8163315
e-readers are people Anon, and like you they are a faggot.
Audio books are a tool, they help deconstruct the fuselage of life, inanimate, they cannot be faggot.

just a crude understanding of general hatred of humanity and it's questions. Do you critically think with your rectum? No sir! We have rectums for pooping, not shitting up boards.

Everyone would prefer you ingest knowledge in all forms, minus dicks. No no, stop theorizing about opinions of reading, just read something.
>mfw into History of Phallic art
>>
Buy a paperwhite, your vocabulary will increase quickly.
>>
>>8163335
>>8163412

This.

>>8163416

You are an idiot. People buy them because they are practical, not to be fucking contrarian. You can find pretty much any moderately well known book online for free. After a couple of months the e-reader pays for itself. I can get the book I want to read without leaving my apartment. It also has a backlight and I can instantly tap any word to get a definition. Footnotes are hyperlinked, so no more flipping to the back of the book.

I use a kindle and buy paperbacks as well. You don't have to "pick a side" but I can tell you from experience that reading from a kindle is more enjoyable for anything 300+ pages because it is far less cumbersome.

>>8163486

Battery lasts like 1-2 weeks on a full charge...

>>8163555

This, the vocabulary builder is great too. (For those who don't know, it saves every word you ask to define and you can browse them as flashcards.)
>>
>>8163315
I bought a Paperwhite last year, it's great
>>
>>8163401
Why the fuck would you buy a Kindle over a nook? The Kindle is locked down so you can't even access the files, besides it's Amazon botnet.
>>
>>8163663

>The Kindle is locked down so you can't even access the files

huh? no it isn't. you just connect it to your computer and drag the files over. you can browse all the directories by default. if you can't find mobi, you can convert with calibre. you have no idea what you're talking about.
>>
>>8163681
I was right about the botnet part though
>>
You can't pirate physical books.
>>
>>8163684
>implying i ever turn my kindle's wifi on
>>
>>8163315
the only audiobook I really enjoyed was Dune, and that's because they include ominous music and have multiple voice actors.
>>
>>8163315
I bought this reader at a thrift store recently for $5. It was in perfect condition but the old owner though it was broken.Turns out all it needed was to have the bevels cleaned. Since the touchscreen is infrared it won't work when dirty.

I do wish it had some of the other features available on the Kindle e-ink readers. Also would like the basic web browser to be accesible. I would use it for wikis, blogs, and the occasional shitpost.
>>
File: tinfoil-hat-guy.jpg (117 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
tinfoil-hat-guy.jpg
117 KB, 800x450
>>8163684

>botnet

Please elaborate:

1. What you think "botnet" means
2. How a kindle is "amazon botnet"
3. What incentive amazon has to establish a botnet of e-readers
4. What malicious purpose this would be mobilized for
>>
>>8163684
I've had mine on airplane mode since day one
>>
>>8163315
It's all just memes
Welcome
>>
>>8163950
hacking the mainframe
>>
>>8163416
>was buying 2-3 books a month
>bookshelves in small apartment were being replaced by stacks of books
>wife bought me e-reader to beg me to stop

Basically doubled my reading. Sounds to me like you are one of them "materialists"
>>
>>8163663
>The Kindle is locked down so you can't even access the files
wut. You can literally browse it on any PC. And calibre works even better

>besides it's Amazon botnet
Yeah, you turn off the wireless.
>>
>>8163315
I only approve of recitation 2bh
>>
e readers are good because you can chose what books to buy and can anywhere with them.

I still like physical books better, but the pricing and weight of carrying them around is overall bad for me.
>>
>>8163315
Its the exact opposite.

Audiobooks are only acceptable for non-fiction while working out or driving.

Ebooks are for people who read
>>
>>8163315
E-books are so stupid much better feel a real book
>>
>>8164340
Nothing will match the pleasure of holding an old second hand book that smells like dust and old paper, hard cover and an exquisite gold printed pattern of art nouveau leaves or victorian forms with book and author's name on the spine.

Preferably a 1980 or older edition.
>>
>>8164466
>Nothing will match the pleasure of holding an old second hand book that smells like dust and old paper, hard cover and an exquisite gold printed pattern of art nouveau leaves or victorian forms with book and author's name on the spine.
>
>Preferably a 1980 or older edition.

That doesnt sound like reading to me. It sounds like fetishistic materialism.
>>
>>8164334
>e readers are good because you can chose what books to buy
Yeah, I hate going into a bookstore and having to buy books against my will.
>>
>>8164468
While it is true that an actual reader wouldn't mind any of th presentations of the text focusing only on the reading task, i find such kind of actual books to complete the whole experience of a reader

The whole cover part is just my preference but i despise kindles and e readers, i think it's just po-mo shit that devoids us from the real spirit of literature that has developed through ages.

A book is a marvel of mankind, while kindles are just trying to be better taking any kind of aesthetic out of the experience.

Just like a graphic designer back when they actually needed handcrafting experience, as opposed to nowadays de
>>
>>8164498
designers who only learn how to use photoshop and drawing tablets*
>>
i wonder, do you have to use licensed products (buy the books) for e-readers, or can I just download books online and transfer them to the thing?
>>
>>8164628
You can just transfer the files.
Why would anyone use it if you had to buy the books regardless?
>>
>>8163335
Of course. This is the way it has always been. Op is just an idiot
>>
File: 2265642.jpg (37 KB, 620x387) Image search: [Google]
2265642.jpg
37 KB, 620x387
>>8164466
>>8164498
>>
>>8164466
>smells like dust and old paper

makes me sneeze just thinking about it.
>>
Audiobooks are acceptable for educational materiial, long trips and for blind people.

Ereaders can be damn finicky. I had to steal my mom's ecig usb cable once and the cord fitted better than the original kindle cable.
>>
I use a samsung tablet to read all my books lel.
I probably already saved up the price for the tablet because I just download most books I want for free.
>>
>>8163950
Proprietary closed source software which probably sends data without your knowing to Amazon so they can profit off it. Are you dense?
>>
>>8163315
Stories were originally intended to be transmitted orally. Listening to an audiobook is the first step to memorizing a story for later oral transmission to others.
>>
>>8163689
you can, it just takes physical effort
>>
>>8165740
And then a more efficient method of transfer came about, written language.
>>
>>8165750
people who care about efficiency can hoard all the books they like on e-readers
>>
>>8165754
People that aren't retards read books with their eyes and actually stimulate their brain.
>>
ereaders are awseome, OP
Last I checked not many people in /lit/ care about audiobooks.
>>
>>8163315

ereaders are efficient and if you don't mind reading from a screen then they're even superior.

audiobooks are a cancer though.
>>
>>8164718
This. The smell of new paper, on other hand, makes me full homo erectus
>>
>>8163315
Maybe because you still actually read on an e-reader. You don't read audiobooks.
>>
>>8166256
>shit on e-readers
>approve of Audio books.

You got it the other way around.
>>
>>8166162
The screen might as well be paper though lad. It's e-ink so your eyes aren't going to hurt anymore than as if you were looking at a book.
>>
>>8164466
That old smell is terrible
>>
>>8166262
Oh, whoops. I guess this thread was even dumber than I thought.
>>
File: 109842384234.jpg (11 KB, 250x198) Image search: [Google]
109842384234.jpg
11 KB, 250x198
>>8164476
>He doesn't pirate e-books
>>
>>8166291
I get all of my e-books from what.cd
>>
>>8163663

Fuck off back to /g/ you autist
>>
>>8166562
Fuck off back to >>>/facebook/ you tech illiterate.
>>
>>8166567
>claiming kindles are locked down and an inescapable botnet
>calling others tech illiterate
>>
>>8166592
Not an argument.
>>
>>8166592
It's an Amazon device sooo it's kinda implied, lol
>>
>>8165708
It has been shown that the Kindle phones home exactly once to check your connection: http://www.mobileread.mobi/forums/showthread.php?t=188439

That's about it. Using airplane mode stops this of course.
>>
>>8166605
Sure it does :)
>>
>>8166567
>NEETs criticising the knowledge of others

kek
>>
>>8166607
Still not an argument.
>>
>>8166619
>>8166596
You stated a false claim. The kindle is accessible, has no DRM, and is not a botnet. hence your calling someone tech illiterate shows your ignorance

>>8166601
except you can openly browse the files on a regular PC, or organize and convert them with calibre, so that is horseshit, and wifi can be turned off. So no, neither is implied.
>>
>>8166729
It's Amazon, the OS is closed source. It's implied.
>>
>>8163684

Do you have a smartphone?

Are you using Mozilla or Chrome?

Are you using Windows or IOS?

Then congrats, you're already part of the botnet
>>
>>8163555
hurr durr i cant write down words i dont know on the inside cover
>>
>>8166791
No.
No.
No.
No.
>>
>>8165708
>probably
See, right there's your problem. You make claims whilst lacking evidence.
>>
>>8166791
>>>/tin/foil
Not everything that has internet capability is a botnet. Mozilla browsers have highly scrutinized code, and it's open source, so if you have a problem, you can check it yourself. Oh wait, you can't because you're probably just a tech-illiterate 14 year old who regurgitates the buzzwords he hears on /g/ while you're lurking in an attempt to to learn 'teh 1337 anonymoose h4x'.
>>
>>8163663
https://www.eff.org/pages/reader-privacy-chart-2012

Every single ereader sends user info back to the maker, idiot
>>
>>8168496
it's the /pol/ gubment paranoia.
>>
>>8168496
>Barnes & Noble tracks purchases made from a logged-in Barnes & Noble account, including through the Nook store. It also collects information, including “sideloaded content,” through the device’s interaction with the Internet.
>It is not clear whether Amazon tracks purchases loaded on to the Kindle from other sources.

Who can they share your data with?
Amazon:
>Law enforcement, civil litigants, and within Amazon’s own services.
Kobo
>“Trusted third parties,” including, but not limited to, Indigo Books & Music, Inc, and publishers of newspapers or magazines that the user subscribes to.
Nook
>Law enforcement, civil litigants, and within Barnes & Noble’s own services, as well as with service providers, third party providers and membership programs, and publishers of newspapers or magazines that the user subscribes to.

Amazon is literally the safest device
>>
File: moCxNnY.jpg (145 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
moCxNnY.jpg
145 KB, 500x375
>>8163663
>>8163684
>>8165708
>>8166567
>>8166596
>>8166601
>>8166606
>>8166619
>>8166734
>>8166835

Top kek. If you really avoid using a kindle because you paranoid about "botnet" that's fucking embarassing. Enjoy your "free software", retard(s).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBBzYG8szmc
>>
I would never audio a new book but it's a great way to revisit a favorite.
I'm a big fan of the Kindle but I find i dont retain as much without the physical object to tie those memories to, plus the lack of asthetjc.
Highlighting is great though. Pros and cons.
>>
>>8163315
anyone know any good e-readers?
>>
>>8168640
Amazon Paperwhite
Used Kindle Touch or Second Generation Kindle with no keyboard.
Kobo Glo HD
>>
>>8168516

Why the hell would law enforcement care about what books you read?
>>
>>8168518
What's going on in that picture
>>
>>8168660
Building a case against you for a crime that requires planning and foresight
>>
>mfw I just use my S6 and Tablet to read books

How pleb am I?
>>
On-the-road-battery-dies guy is right. Not JUST because of the duration of the battery charge but because it means another electronic device I gotta worry about getting sat on or dropped in the toilet AND I got fumble around with yet another fucking charger AND I gotta worry about thieving cunts that don't know what it is but could probably hawk for drug money. With a paperback none of this is a problem whatsoever.

To each his own.
>>
Can't believe this hasn't been mentioned yet. The biggest reason for me getting an e-reader was the fact that I can translate foreign words into English on the fly. Excellent for reading French literature etc as a non-native speaker. Literally just click on the word and get a translation.

That alone sold it for me.
>>
>>8169162
Yeah, that was the reason for me to buy a kindle. My english has improved massively.
>>
File: rockthedhamma.jpg (14 KB, 350x254) Image search: [Google]
rockthedhamma.jpg
14 KB, 350x254
What is the best e-reader, cost/benefit-wise?
>>
>>8169214

Same here, read 120+ books in English in the last two years and a half.

>>8169232

Either Paperwhite or Glo HD, theyre both good.
>>
Can anyone with a paperwhite help? Mine started fucking up, lagging with turning pages or showing word definitions, and last night just went completely bonkers on a book. Pressed to go backwards, it went forwards, pressed to go forwards and it went backwards, completely fucked the pages out of order too.

Didn't get any damage I can think of, and it starting to lag was gradual. It was also after a good charge so I have no idea what the fuck. And it was only purchased a few months ago and not used heavy-duty so it has no right to be crapping out so soon. I'm gonna try to remove the book that happened with and load it again but...idk, anyone had something similar?
>>
>>8169330
just reboot it
>>
>>8169356
Tried it but it's still moving forwards when pressing to go back a page, there's something wrong with it
>>
>>8169484
but at least the lagginess stopped, right? for the other issue maybe try checking the settings
>>
>>8164334
>e readers are good because you can chose what books to buy and can anywhere with them.
I bought an e-reader to read books that I can download.
>>
>>8169484
Factory reset, hold the button for like 30+ seconds
>>
>>8169162
You can do that with any android tablet and the kindle app.
>>
>>8163335
This, fuck you OP
>>
what are some good e-ink readers I can buy by 65USD on aliexpress?
>>
File: 1464811511789.jpg (20 KB, 555x313) Image search: [Google]
1464811511789.jpg
20 KB, 555x313
>tfw I don't read much, and I want to believe buying an e-reader will get me reading more, but at the same time I don't want to buy one and still not read much
>>
>>8163315
idc for ereaders. I like Audio books for some things, like Plato's Republic or the Homeric texts because desu they're meant to be read out loud.

btw for anyone interested you can get 1 free audiobook from audible if you sign up, and then 2 more for $.99 if you cancel right away then re-sign up
>>
>>8163663
Kindles are shit te same way amazon is shit. They don't support multiple formats, have a shitty DRM policy and on top of that, they can cost up to 200$ if you country doesn't have an amazon shop.

You can't even ordem them from te closest country to yours. You have to order them from America paying almost 100$ in taxes.
>>
>>8169622
>don't support multiple formats
mobi azw prc and pdf, but calibre makes that irrelevant since azw to epub is lossless
>shitty DRM policy
I dont even know what this means and ive had a kindle for 5 years
>price
buy one used
>>
>>8169636

>buy one used

instead of buying a new non-kindle e-reader with likely more functions and more convenient to use
>>
>>8169636
>Shilling this hard over an e-reader
>>
>>8169649
>>8169653

I'm no Kindle shill, I think Kobo is just as good (buying a nook is stupid), but lets not pretend that Kobo and Nook doesnt cheerfully steal your data and sell it to anyone who asks, which amazon does not, and that the azw/epub issue is even a relevant discussion, since you literally just click "convert and send"
>>
>>8169636
>I don't even know what this means

Pleb
>>
>>8169683
There is no drm on my kindle. I sideload hundreds of books. I am not stopped from doing so. I purchased a book once, and it had drm, so calibre took it off.

I dont know what this means. Tell me about the kindle drm pleb
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzresbucXI4

holy fuck e-ink desktop screen by 780USD.

holy fuck.
>>
>>8169694
I used to be an excel monkey for 9 hours a day, that would have been lovely
>>
>>8169694

>Crowfunded chink shit running android

No thanks
>>
>>8169694
The refresh rate still looks shitty. Why is e-ink tech still so shit
>>
>>8163416
>e-readers are for contrarian faggots
>using something that's mainstream makes you a contrarian.
>>
>>8169705
I love working with excel.

I would pay anything for that kind of screen, but it would have to be connected to my PC, not as a tablet.

God.
>>
>>8163335
This desu family
>>
I just don't like reading on tablets. My attention span is shit as is, and for whatever reason I can't seem to keep my place or pace with ebooks. also, I read books to separate myself from my technology. A tablet doesn't really help me with that
>>
>>8170427
A tablet and an e-reader are different.
>>
what is the best e-reader for pdf ?
>>
>>8171799
Converting to epub in calibre
>>
>>8171823
i was thinking buying the kobo, but it seems that converting pdf to epub turn the file to shit
>>
>>8171799
Kindle Paperewhite is doing just fine now with the new updated provided you read the pdf in landscape mode.
>>
>>8163315
/lit/ isn't one individual....
I like the e-readers, I have a Kindle paperwhite, and I've swallowed a good ten books in the month I've had it, there's 460 books on the thing, with room for 640 more.
My whole library can now be in my pocket.

I don't mind audio books either, depending on the reader of course.
Thread replies: 123
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.