[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just finished the Inferno and before I move on to the rest
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 0614160024-1.jpg (778 KB, 4436x808) Image search: [Google]
0614160024-1.jpg
778 KB, 4436x808
I just finished the Inferno and before I move on to the rest of the Comedy I have a question. How do the ancient Greek and Roman gods work in Dante's worldview? There are clearly mythological figures in hell (Charon, the Titans, various heroes), and I recall Jove and his lightning specifically being mentioned. Did Dante believe these gods existed but were "lesser" than his god? Did he think they were the ancients' misunderstanding of the true god? Were they real figures like the Titans, sent to Purgatory or Paradise (or perhaps to Hell but just not mentioned)?
Dante's cosmology confused me for a while as well, but learning that Ulysses' mountain is Purgatory and reading the last canto of Inferno clarified that.
>>
The Comedy is a work of fiction.
The Greek and Roman gods exist as characters in the book, not reality.
>>
lmao you didnt even read it in ancient latin pleb
>>
pretty much like in milton's paradise lost, it's a typical medieval tradition when the ancient gods were considered devils if understood literally or simply metaphors / fiction characters if understood non literally; christianity is a non-tolerant bitch

p.s. you should consider that the divine comedy is itself deeply affected by aeneid (hence virgil is his companion), that part of it which describes the descending of aenes into the netherworld (that part is clearly affected by homer's odyssey but afaik dante didn't know greek and so didn't read it, there was no available translations of it back then even to latin)
>>
>>8162860
Basically this.
>>
>>8162789
>t. Analytic Autist
>>
>>8162860
Thanks. I actually just bought the Aeneid and Paradife Loft, they're both in the mail. And the fact that he didn't read the Odyssey helps explain why Ulysses' story is so different from Homer's version.
>>
Any tips on what translation of the Inferno I should get?
>>
>>8162827
family...
>>
>>8162860
>there was no available translations of it back then even to latin)
Really? This is very surprising.
>>
I'm sure Dante read Isaiah 43:10.
>>
>>8162860
>>8162875
No. Not this. The only non-tolerant bitch in this thread is you.

>>8162710
The Christian world view is complicated. After Jesus died on the cross, he went down into the belly of the Earth; Hades, and met with the souls of the dead. Jesus regularly mentions Shaol, which is just another name for Hades, Agartha, the Underworld, the same vision of the afterlife shared by all peoples. When a person dies they automatically go to Shaol. Only when Jesus returns and raises the dead in the day of Judgement will the souls be released and either take their place in heaven or choose eternal suffering in Hell (anywhere outside of Heaven).
After Jesus's death on the cross, Paul went around to the Greeks and Romans to rid them of their superstitions. He told them that Artemis was magnificent. Artemis became a Christian saint, as did Dionysus and many other Roman and Greek Gods. The name Jupiter was also used regularly by the Romans as another name for Jehova, or God. All of the old pantheon, therefore are angels in God's greater plan. Jesus forbade blood letting rituals and blood sacrifices of any kind, so offering food and animals to these Gods became sacriligious, not because the Gods themselves were sacriliguous, but because only demons would feed on the souls of the sacrificed. All of the other Gods had joined the ranks of Christianity, not because they were asked to. But because it had always been this way, mankind was still simply too fallen into the material realm of nature worship to see it.
Knowledge of the underworld and the afterlife was safeguarded on either ends of Christendom (Europa). One was in the Library of Alexandria and the other the monasteries of Ireland. Europe may already have been heading towards the Dark Ages, but the rise of the Muslim Caliphate accelerated this process. The Muslims invaded Europe sacked the library of Alexandria and others and took with them all of the knowledge of mathematics, oneiromancy and medicine, setting fire to everything else. They then continued to attack and oppress Europe for more than 800 years, at a time when Europe was having its own problems. Meanwhile in Ireland, monastic life went on more or less uninterupted. The knowledge of worlds beyond our own filtered back into Europe from the land of Saints and Scholars, which is how Dante came to hear and understand of it. This in turn lead to the Enlightenment, where people in Europe began to read and understand that the physical world was not all that there was and that the Universe was much grander than had hitherto been thought of.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.