[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pynchon didn't publish another book for 17 years after Gravity's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: pynchon3-sized.jpg (21 KB, 223x270) Image search: [Google]
pynchon3-sized.jpg
21 KB, 223x270
Pynchon didn't publish another book for 17 years after Gravity's Rainbow.

17 years.

Since then, he's been pretty prolific, having written three novels in the past decade, one of them an outrageously laborious doorstopper.

What was the deal with this gap? What did Pynchon do for such a long time? Did his fans think he was dead?
>>
He writes books simultaneously. It's a known fact that during that gap he started work on both Mason and Dixon and Against the Day.
Nobody thought he was dead, particularly because he published Slow Learner during that time (1984).
>>
This article reveals a lot of mysteries about his life, including his years between GR and Vineland. He's not a total mystery.
>http://www.vulture.com/2013/08/thomas-pynchon-bleeding-edge.html#

>Occasionally he came out to visit the Shetzlines in rural Oregon. “I remember Pynchon on the horse I had,” Shetzline says. “He looked like Don Quixote.” Shetzline’s ex-wife Mary Beal says he mostly stayed up late and watched TV. (Kirk Sale remembers his houseguest arguing with his kids over which cartoons to watch.)
lol
>>
>>8161808
Pynchon must be awsome as a grandpa
>>
>>8161808
lmao
>>
>>8161817
Unfortunately his only kid is like 20
>>
GR is literally the installgentoo of /lit/, right? I mean it's just a meme and you don't actually mean it when you recommend it?
It's just your polite way of telling people to fuck off and google or something?
>>
>>8162431
Pynchon is considered the greatest living writer by plenty of academics and GR is considered his best work. It's more like half the faggots who pretend to understand Pynchon couldn't possibly because you have to actually know something about literature before you read him. It's like suggesting somebody who has never played a video game before should start with Dwarf Fortress.
>>
Pynchons my fav writer for sure because my fav thing in books is goofs, gags, jokes and rambunctious behavior, and his books are full to the brim of it. Every novel is like one of those novelty snake cans, you open the book & POP you get a face fulla snakes and you fall back cackling. The mad mind, the crack genius, to do it! and then you think hmmm whats he gonna do next, this trickster, and you pick the book back up and BZZZZZZZZZZ you get a shock and Hahahahahah you've been pranked again by the old pynchmeister, that card. "Did that Pynch?" he says, laughing yukyukyukyuk. Watch him as he shoves a pair of plastic buck teeth right up into his mouth and displays em for you- left, right, center- "you like dese? Do i look handsome???" Pulls out a mirror. "Ah!" Hand to naughty mouth. And you're on your ass again laughing as he snaps his suspenders, exits stage right, and appears again hauling a huge golden gong.
>>
>>8162489
>you have to actually know something about literature before you read him
Disagree with that. I dove into Pynchon while still being a complete pleb and I've really enjoyed him.
>>
>>8162520
I find it hard to believe that somebody would enjoy him on a superficial level without knowing the details, but hey, if you did then I won't say your fun is wrong fun. But I'm going to doubt that you were completely ignorant of literature and went into V knowing who Lamont Craston was, or the references to literary figures and events, or the philosophy and plays on style in his novels.
>>
what
>>
>>8162535
you could not possibly sound like more of a twat
>>
>>8162506
so he's a shit meme writer
>>
>>8162535
>who Lamont Craston was, or the references to literary figures and events, or the philosophy and plays on style in his novels.
All irrelevant to the core of the novels
Like the other poster said, you're a twat
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.