[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the function of constant chronicles, names in Bible?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: the-holy-bible.jpg (46 KB, 567x567) Image search: [Google]
the-holy-bible.jpg
46 KB, 567x567
What is the function of constant chronicles, names in Bible?
>>
You mean the genealogies? or do you mean the list of kings in Chronicles?
>>
>>8160553
both . Actually i dont see how are both Chronicles books important, its like "previously in bible"
>>
>>8160556
I haven't read the Bible but I know that Jesus' lineage is important because the Messiah is supposed to be descended from David. They establish that Jesus is David's descendant through Mary.
>>
>>8160566
>I haven't read the Bible but
>>
>>8160556
Chronicles covers some kings that weren't covered in the previous books. Also, you must remember that back in the day, the Bible was not a single bound volume, it was a ton of expensive scrolls, and individuals seldom owned the whole thing; someone might prefer to purchase (pay a scribe to write) Chronicles because it is much cheaper. Chronicles was originally written as a summary, not a sequel

>>8160566
Mary's genealogy isn't even in the Bible, just two genealogies for Joseph ("son of"/"father of" can leap several generations, genealogies are not necessarily exhaustive, so two different genealogies doesn't mean they are mutually exclusive).
>>
>>8160556
As for the Genealogies, people identified as families back then rather than as individuals. We're individualistic now, so what matters to us is very different. For instance, today, we'd write a fair amount about how each person looks, but then that wouldn't even occur to them (except in love poetry) because it was generally not seen as important, people judged someone by blood more than looks, and if looks are mentioned, it just something like "goodly" without much detail..
>>
>>8160572
Oh.
>>
>>8160581
You might ask, "How can Christ be descended from David in the Bible through Joseph if Joseph didn't beget him?"

The answer is, Judaism doesn't see fatherhood in question of descent, relying necessarily on contributing seed. For instance, in Genesis 38:9, "Onan knew that the seed should not be his," so he spills it; though he is the one impregnating the woman, the child would be legally considered as belonging to her deceased husband, and would be recorded such genealogically. Similarly, though Joseph did not contribute any seed, legally and genealogically, the child would be considered his.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.