[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some books about being fully aware that you are unlikeable
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: BM_01-950x467.png (524 KB, 950x467) Image search: [Google]
BM_01-950x467.png
524 KB, 950x467
What are some books about being fully aware that you are unlikeable and a bad person?

>NO UNDERGROUND NOTES EDITION
>>
>>8159902
declare a thumb war with yourself and stop shitposting
>>
>>8159902
Notes(deal with it)
No Longer Human
Catcher(deal with that too)
The Fall(not really the unlikeable part)
Nausea(not really the bad part)
>>
File: F&L-Lizard Lounge.jpg (156 KB, 800x519) Image search: [Google]
F&L-Lizard Lounge.jpg
156 KB, 800x519
>>8159902
Anything Hunter S. Thompson, really
>>
That is literally a synopsis of every Bukowski novel ever written
>>
File: Lanark.jpg (26 KB, 220x323) Image search: [Google]
Lanark.jpg
26 KB, 220x323
>>8159902
>this thread
Alasdair Gray's "Lanark".
It features some of the most raw, penetrating and uncomfortable introspection I've ever seen from an author (inb4 the Knausgard meme).
As an irredeemable misanthropic autist, parts of it felt like looking in a fucking mirror.
It's /r9k/, trans-dimensional Glaswegian edition.
Don't be put off by its heft or be confused by the order of the books: read it as it's printed, and all will be revealed. Revisit the illustrations once you're done.
>>
>>8159902
Fight Club does this although it's very well hidden.
>>
>>8160927
Palahnuik usually goes out of the way to make his narrators unlikable, but I agree that it's less blatant in Fight Club than, say, Choke.
>>
>>8159948
No Longer Human is the opposite, the main character presents himself as truly unlikable but the epilogue shows that everybody around him actually cared for him, and liked him, which is the story itself also.
>>
>>8161212
I completely disagree, fight club is more of a anti hero, and is very likable, choke was a relatable loser, it shows his skill as a written to make you still love the guy. Both books made we wake up to how shitty and lacking in good male role models my up bringing was
>>
>>8161267
If you everything but the epilogue it is like how OP wanted it. The epilogue is just redeeming and just adds more to the story.
>>
>>8161351
It's not that it's only the epilogue that is redeeming but every character in the novel likes and helps Yozo except that one dude he drinks with, women forgive everything about him, etc. Even if he fucks up horribly that doesn't mean he's a bad person in full, though he claims he is. Sure, it's a first person novel in which the narrator does know he sucks, but the point of it is that you can suck and be loved.
>>
>>8161379
Even then I would still says it fits the bill because he spends his days living as if he is unlikeable.
>>
Sabbath's Theater

Mickey Sabbath is such an unrepentant piece of shit it's great.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.