[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thinking of writing a book
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
Hello folks of /lit/.

I am thinking of writing a fantasy book. A mix of zombie apocalypse and grand fantasy setting.

The general idea is that a wizard tried to end a world war by using the life force of the planet to create an army of mage knights to stop the wars. To achieve this he broke the barrier between this world and the world where all life energy is.

In very loose terms, whenever a living being dies, it's soul goes to the realm of Life to be renergized. Then the soul reenters our world whenever an organism starts forming until it dies again and the circle continues.

By breaking the barrier, life energy flows uncontrolled causing the dead to rise and new organisms to form. Because the souls where not reenergized properly, most of those organisms and dead are either mindless or chaotic with the exception of a few. The protagonist is one of those few.

The story is about how the protagonist finds his place in the world as an abnormal human (He doesn't age, he doesn't need to eat often or drink etc etc) and how about he tries to fix what happened in the world.

So i want to ask, how does the concept sound? I have many ideas and i try to sort them.

Also i was thinking of making it a trilogy, with things unresolved in the end and the proceeding with two more trilogies, the second taking place in a steampunk setting and the third in a sci-fi setting. All criticism, tips and comments are welcome.

PS: English is not my mother tongue so please excuse any errors.
>>
>>8159578
How autistic or socially inept are you?
>>
>>8159578
>Also i was thinking of making it a trilogy, with things unresolved in the end and the proceeding with two more trilogies, the second taking place in a steampunk setting and the third in a sci-fi setting.
You're going to fit right in as a fantasy author
>>
>>8159586
Haha. A lot i guess. Wanna hang out?

>>8159587
Perfect. A note, things will be resolved in the end.

Tbh i don't care about publishing it or anything. It's for personal satisfaction. But i like listening to other people's opinions about my ideas.
>>
>>8159578
Change that into

A foreign space ruler drops hydrogen bombs into a volcano. Then drops a group of space prisoners into it also. But they miraculously escape and build the planet earth.

Then start your own religion and endorse celebrities. $$$$
>>
>>8159578
Thanks for taking your time with crafting this bait. It's quite exquisite - the mask of innocence, implying you are a first-timer, sincere genre fiction plot, a decidely YA protagonist (described only in a few words, but already infuriating), the franchise, even the nice touches with the zombie and steampunk genres.
>>
>>8159643
I guess i do have that option. But religion was never my forte.

>>8159661
That hurts quite a bit you know. In all seriousness it is not a bait. But i guess i have to take the hint. Too bad.
>>
>>8159671
Is this really not an attempt to rustle some jimmies? Well, ok.

There are some flaws very apparent. What you described here sounds more like a D&D campaign, plot-wise, and D&D campaigns live on escapism. Escapism is not a bad thing, but it's actually not that trivial to invoke it. Your host character should be "better" than the reader, but not so much that reader can't associate themselves with it. Your character is ageless, and we spend a whole lot of time with him - presumably, three historical periods. From the description he sounds too perfect, and I don't get why he wants to engage in book's conflict: what makes him appealing? Name a central character in a fantasy saga that is so godlike and removed from human; even wizard heroes in fantasy are very physical, they run and get punched and eat and drink, and your guy sounds extremely non-physical.

Also immortality is a thoroughly explored theme.

Genre hopping is tough; your trilogy sounds disjointed.
>>
>>8159705

I've never thought about it that way. I always thought all novels invoke escapism by letting you immerse yourself in the world of the book.

A few characters in the book were born with "half-recharged" souls while still in their mother's womb. The character is one of them. He would age normally like a human up till the age his previous body died. Due to this anomaly he has completely different magic powers than other wizards.

The "hook" that gets him to try and fix things is one of the mage knights who broke off once he learned the truth off what the archmage did and tries to fix the damage. He believes the key to be these special individuals that are born normally even though with half-charged souls due to their different magic powers.

And you may be right. I guess i should rethink the bit about making him "less-human".

I am not even sure if i am gonna use the same character as the protagonist. The different historical periods are mostly because i love those periods. So i was thinking of simply having all three trilogies take place in the same universe. You think i shouldn't bother?
>>
>>8159705
Can you critique mine? It's kind of similar to OP's

>hell is like an office job in another universe where each demon is in charge of torturing their assigned human soul and as a reward it can ascend to a godlike form, but lately a decrease in mortality rates left many demons jobless while others keep receiving human souls. Our character Emily then gets involved in a hell-like protest against Death, the owner of hell, who fires them by throwing them into a void. Emily floats around endlessly only to later find planet earth where she is found by Jacob, a 25 year old NEET whom happened to be her assigned human and as a result only he can see her. Because she is slowly dying her powers of telekinesis in earth are limited. The story launches from there with Jacob at first trying to kill her only to later accept her as a partner in crime in an attempt to build their own society.

It is full of dark humor and is kinda edgy but I've already written and deleted countless rough drafts to get to what I have now.

Please tell me what you think and no it is not bait
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.