[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I didn't really enjoy this. Are his other works better?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: 6096464.jpg (16 KB, 318x445) Image search: [Google]
6096464.jpg
16 KB, 318x445
I didn't really enjoy this. Are his other works better?
>>
>>8159179
Eeee Eeee Eeee might be fun to read if you're drunk or high. Everything else though? Not even once.
>>
Yes, very. I enjoyed Shoplifting, however. Taipei is a masterpiece. Read his short stories too. A lot of people on this board shit talk him because they don't understand his place in literature, so I'll give you like a "primer."

The Sun Also Rises>The Book of Disquiet>Joy Williams' Honored Guest>Lorrie Moore's Like Life
>>
File: image.jpg (21 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
21 KB, 480x360
>nonwhite author
>>
OP, don't listen to anyone who tells you Taipei is worth reading. They're shitposting memers.
>>
OP, don't listen to anyone who tells you Taipei isn't worth reading. They're shitposting memers.
>>
>>8159466
Go to bed Tao.
>>
PEOPLE HATE ON TAO BECAUSE THEY WISH THEY HAD A CAREER IN WRITING AND HAD POPULARITY.

TAIPEI IS INDEED HIS MASTERPIECE

EEEEE EEE EEEE IS KIND OF MY PERSONAL FAVORITE

BED IS GOOD, PROB REWARDS REREADS

I CAN UNDERSTAND NOT LIKING SHOPLIFTING OR RICHARD YATES BECAUSE OF HOW MINIMAL THE STYLE IS BUT THOSE ARE THE ONLY ONES LIKE THAT

ALSO COGNITIVE BEHAVIORAL THERAPY IS GOOD

I LIKE HIS WORK I THINK HES COOL
>>
>>8159555
Fuck off autist. No one who posts in all caps is ever worth listening to.
>>
>>8159179
I've read Shoplifting, Richard Yates, Bed and Reeeeee Reee Reeee.

I liked the latter two the most.
>>
>>8159555
is this KOOL AD?`
>>
>>8159179
no
>>
>>8159179
I'll save you some trouble OP, after reading shoplifting from American apparel I had a feeling Towelin was autistic, and after 300-something pages of one the worst novels I've ever read (Taipei) I realized he's not just autistic but untalented
>>
>>8159179
Tao Lin is a /lit/ meme and you took the fuckin' bait.
>>
>>8159202
> masterpiece

wwwwwwwwwwwww
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
wwwwwwwwwwwww
>>
>>8159623
Poster of >>8159608 and your goddamn right I did, twice.
>>
I enjoyed Tai Pei the first time, but coming back to it a few months later, I couldn't be bothered to get even halfway through. After the alt lit meme novelty wore off, it just felt like a waste of mental energy and reading time.

Has anyone who claims it is a 'masterpiece' read it more than once?

e e e was fine
>>
seems like every criticism i've seen of Taipei uses the words meme, alt-lit, or autistic. can you describe what you did not enjoy, without using these words?
>>
in taipei, he, at least one can say, overused the style of writing where a thought is continued much longer than is normally used in contemporary writing and more normally used in philosophical writing.

i dont find any problem with it personally though, i find a lof of enjoyment in reading tao, he's pretty lucid and careful in his choice of words.

im the same guy who typed in caps earlier
>>
I enjoyed "you are a little bit happier than i am".

I didn't see it as a serious work of poetry, it's just literary internet memes.

I think his short stories in "Bed" are alright.
>>
liked taipei, wouldnt read it again and no urge to read other lins
>>
>>8159179
I have mixed opinions about Taipei. As a novel it's awful, but it's a bit disturbing to realize that the culture he writes about exists to the letter. He's part of it, the people who call him the voice of a generation are part of it, and there are even more of them out there.
The characters have to be insufferable, the plot has no go nowhere, they have to spend 250 pages doing nothing over and over in the most annoying way possible, because it's reality.

It's an interesting artifact, in that sense. Wouldn't read it again if you paid me though.
>>
>>8160234
This is basically what BEE said about it. Which is amusing since I think his books are shit for the exact same reason.
>>
yall just dont understand i guess. but look at me! i think its art!
>>
>>8159202
>Taipei is a masterpiece
I agree completely.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.