[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The fuck did I just read?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: dostoyevski.jpg (303 KB, 1400x2092) Image search: [Google]
dostoyevski.jpg
303 KB, 1400x2092
The fuck did I just read?
>>
I actually liked the plot. What's your critic?
>>
>>8158677

The last desperate gasp of a man on his way straight to Hell for conspiring against the divinely ordained holy monarchy of Russia.
>>
File: brazil.gif (2 MB, 250x369) Image search: [Google]
brazil.gif
2 MB, 250x369
>mfw when Ilya rapes the maid
>>
>>8158677
I'm ⅜ of the way through, it's very difficult to read, though I'm not a great reader. Somewhat interesting just a bit unnecessarily long
>>
>>8158702
Trust me bro, the last 150 pages are going to be worth the build up. The book is easier to read if you have accepted Jesus Christ into your heart
>>
Fascinating.
>>
>>8158677
>did I just read?
doubt it
>>
>>8158721
What isn't easier with JC in your heart?
>>
>>8158700
>Ilya rapes the maid
The sick kid that bit Alyosha and died http://www.shmoop.com/brothers-karamazov/ilyusha-snegiryov.html
>>
>>8158726
Katerina Ivanovna is best girl
>>
I'm only halfway through the book so no spoilers but I wish Alyosha was my qt bf
>>
>>8158805
Smerdyakov did it
>>
>tfw all I wanted was Alyosha to marry the qtpi wheelchair girl
>>
Rereading right now, McDuff this time. So far I'm finding Alyosha a bit less sympathetic than before and Dmitri a little moreso. It could be due to familiarity, but I suspect McDuff's translation itself has something to do with it (presenting Alyosha as being impatient as opposed to excited, for example).
I don't think McDuff's translation is quite as great as it's hyped to be around here, not to say it's bad per se, but it is clunky sometimes. (Maybe this is a deliberate attempt to be faithful to the letter of some clunkiness in the original Russian, but I don't think it's a goal to adhere to at the expense of the spirit of the work.) From what I've sen, I would rank McDuff (slightly) below Avsey, MacAndrew, Magarshack, and Matlaw's revision of Garnett and (significantly) above Garnett and P&V.
>>
>>8158846
You're reading it for the 8th time?
>>
>>8158836
>tfw alyosha, vanya and mitya never had a sexy threesome
Dostoyevsky even hinted at it
>>
>>8158846
>tfw I'm reading the Garnett translation

Should I just stop and find a better one?
>>
>>8158858
It's not that big of a deal t b h, that's the translation I read and I still loved it.
i believe she sometimes uses the word "ejaculate" to mean "exclaim" which makes things occasionally awkward
>>
>>8158846
We need a new translation of BK that's on a par with Oliver Ready's excellent translation of Crime & Punishment. In the meantime, McDuff is among the best of a mediocre lot.
>>
>>8158848
I haven't read them all cover-to-cover, but I have looked into how each of them deal with various aspects of the original

>>8158858
Only if you've just started. One thing I will say in praise of her work is that she did have a good way with words, if the work itself is outpaced by newer options. The analogy I would make here is with the King James Bible.
>>
>Hurrah for The Brothers Karamazov

wew, lad. Dostoevsky? more like DULLstoyevsky
>>
>>8158883
The repetition of that line as the last line of the Garnett translation is one of her numerous changes to the original and one of the more egregious examples of her adding something that wasn't there. She did tap into something, because the addition has been a significant element for numerous readers, but it was nonetheless not from Dostoyevsky.
>>
>>8158856
When
>>
>>8158871
>>8158881
I'm about halfway through and really enjoying it so far, thank you friendos.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.