[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is Gravity's Rainbow more celebrated than V.?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1
File: pynchon3-sized.jpg (21 KB, 223x270) Image search: [Google]
pynchon3-sized.jpg
21 KB, 223x270
Why is Gravity's Rainbow more celebrated than V.?
>>
It is better
>>
neither is celebrated because bucktooth nigface is a shithouse writer who deserves eternity in hell for his awful contributions to the earth
>>
I'm currently memeing myself. Just finished V. two days ago, read Crying of Lot 49 today, and Grav's Bow is my next purchase.

In what order does /lit/ prefer these three works?
>>
>>8158492
lot 49 -> V -> GR -> V a second time
>>
>>8158492

Crying of Lot 49>V.

he's stronger in past tense imo
>>
>>8158492
GR is terrific. Other two aren't worth reading.
>>
>>8158492
crying of lot > GR

v sucks
>>
>>8159185
>>8159198
>>8159214
Don't be plebs. Crying was fine but is nowhere near as good as V. GR is miles ahead of V and V is miles ahead of CoL49.
>>
>>8159232
So, as I said, GR is the only of the three worth reading.
>>
>>8159232
How much of a pleb am I for liking Inherent Vice?
>>
>>8158492
Mine was:
COL49 --> GR --> V. --> GR

Best advice for GR is to not get super caught up in it; just read each page once, even if you don't understand something, just enjoy the weird humor and plot then read it again. It is a fun book and It'll be ruined if you try to dissect every little thing on your first read.

I'm definitely going to going to be hitting it up a 3rd and 4th time, probably even more than that.
>>
>>8159240
That isn't right either. The Waves is way better than To The Lighthouse but To The Lighthouse is an amazing read and worth reading.
>>
>>8159245
You aren't a pleb for liking IV. But if you like it I urge you to read more Pynchon.
>>
>>8159240
Pynchon would agree. he disowned V and lot 49.
>>
>>8159255
I've actually read most of his bibliography; I just like IV's atmosphere better.

GR is actually my favorite, but IV is second on my list.
>>
It's bigger.
>>
>>8159267
He didn't disown any of them. He said he wrote CoL49 for money and said he did that in Slow Learner but didn't disown it.
>>
>>8159269
IV is a very likable book, but I wasn't charmed enough by it to put it over V.

My top three pinecones would be

1. GR
2. V.
3. M&D

The only book of his I haven't read is Against the Day.
>>
I'm nearing the GR finish line, so it can finally add it to my memeshelf; should I skip V and go straight to M&D?
>>
>>8159666
No way, man. Imo, V. is Pynchon's best, and once you finish it you'll end up rereading it quite a few times.
>>
>>8159247
This. There were times when I was reading too carefully and it ended up being too slow. I had way more fun when I was just reading it quickly.
>>
V. is an extremely fun and comfy read, Tcol is also a cool novella but GR is still king
>>
Pynchons my fav writer for sure because my fav thing in books is goofs, gags, jokes and rambunctious behavior, and his books are full to the brim of it. Every novel is like one of those novelty snake cans, you open the book & POP you get a face fulla snakes and you fall back cackling. The mad mind, the crack genius, to do it! and then you think hmmm whats he gonna do next, this trickster, and you pick the book back up and BZZZZZZZZZZ you get a shock and Hahahahahah you've been pranked again by the old pynchmeister, that card. "Did that Pynch?" he says, laughing yukyukyukyuk. Watch him as he shoves a pair of plastic buck teeth right up into his mouth and displays em for you- left, right, center- "you like dese? Do i look handsome???" Pulls out a mirror. "Ah!" Hand to naughty mouth. And you're on your ass again laughing as he snaps his suspenders, exits stage right, and appears again hauling a huge golden gong.
>>
>>8158459
Because V. is still rough around the edges, is both less universal in thematic scope and less multiply tied to History (meaning the history we see as most significant now), and has the occasional dud in it, like the shoe-horned short story.
>>
I thought GR was way over hyped when I read it last year. Tough to live up to the reputation that /lit/ gives it.

V. on the other hand was surprisingly good. I just finished my first reread and I think I prefer it over GR.>>8159845 is right in a way. V. is less polished pynchon style and it does have some duds, but some of it really hits harder than he does in any other book. Pynchon isn't falling into his comfort zone like he does in his later work because he is still young and fletching out his style. For instance, the chapter "where stencil does 8 impersonations" or whatever its called was brilliant. I also really like Mondaugen's story.
>>
>>8159845
What shoe-horned short story?
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.