[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Good or bad writter?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: grr_martin.png (246 KB, 665x341) Image search: [Google]
grr_martin.png
246 KB, 665x341
Is his writting good? If not, then why?
>>
>>8158039

In terms of prose, he's pretty bad.

In terms of characterisation, he's legitimately great, for the genre at least.

In terms of overall storytelling, pretty good, easy to see why he's popular.

So I'd say good writer, but bad "writing" in terms of the meat and potatoes.
>>
>>8158146
Legitimately awful. The more garbage he shats out the more I want to puke thinking about how this is what young people will consider good writing. Every book he writes is worse than the last. Spends entire fucking books building characters only to kill them off in the most retarded ways possible. I cannot see why so many normies enjoy his garbage.
>>
>>8158146
For some reason most authors who are really good at creating worlds and characters also feel the need to describe it in about 20 times more words than necessary without adding anything positive to the whole mixture.
>>
>>8158039
dont ask lit if hes good or bad
if he were good, lit would never admit it, too popular for that

that said, his writing is bad
>>
>>8158255
>>8158146
>>8158230
>if not, then why?
>>
>>8158242
Shouldn't you be writing your next book you fucking hack?
>>
>>8158039
The more he typed the more he shat.
>>
File: 1460339554195.png (311 KB, 928x960) Image search: [Google]
1460339554195.png
311 KB, 928x960
>>8159158
kek
>>
>>8158039
His writing is good for getting laid. Read his prose, understand the characters, talk to some GoT fangirls, make up some psychobabble about her favorite character based on what you read in the books, have her think you're smarter than God, have sex.
>>
>>8158039
Prose and style is awful, but most people have already said that.

I think what sets GRRM above trash is that he manages to write somewhat compelling characters despite the plenty of issues with his writing, which is why people follow the books and the show despite disliking them. AFFC and ADWD weren't good books, but I wanted to see what happened to Jaime and Stannis, so I read them anyways. In that regard, GRRM is actually a good author.

GRRM isn't as bad as people say he is here, but I don't think any of his works will be remembered as classics. He writes mediocre books with interesting characters, and honestly there's nothing wrong with reading them.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.