[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>He doesn't use lines from Homer in his daily speech
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
>He doesn't use lines from Homer in his daily speech
Whats your excuse /lit/?
>>
>>8157440

>Soon as the Dawn shone forth rose-fingered at earliest daybreak

i went to work too as well
>>
>>8157447
Do you prefer Merrill over Lattimore?
>>
I don't have autism.
>>
>>8157457
Hateful to me as the gates of Hades is that man who hides one thing in his heart and speaks another.
>>
>>8157440
Mark Zuckerberg does this.

>>8157457
Then Mark Zuckerberg must have
>>
>>8157447
>Quotes the most famous, plebeian Homer line
>>
>>8157457
Because it is the mark of an educated patrician you filthy pleb, go watch nascar and wrestling while plumbing your toilet for fun.
>>
Who the fug understands homeric greek in this day and age senpai? Also what's the point of quoting translations? "Maman est morte aujourd'hui, ou peut-être hier, je ne sais pas", sounds infinitely better than when rendered into English, this same thing applies to classical languages. "Arma virumque canto", as opposed to "I sing of arms and the man", as another example.
>>
>>8157454
hm... yes, probably

>>8157460
it reminds me that chapter in gene wolfe's 'the citadel of the autarch' how an ascian told them a story while being unable to speak but by the quotes from the ascian approved texts of quotes, something like mao's red book, and a female light cavalry trooper who dealt with ascians a lot had to translate it to them:

>“So say the Group of Seventeen: From those who steal, take all they have, for nothing that they have is their own.”
>“They told him to go back to the farm and tell the bad men—in their name—that they must leave.”

>“As a good child to its mother, so is the citizen to the Group of Seventeen.”
>“He did just as they had said.”

>“What is foolish speech? It is wind. It has come in at the ears and goes out of the mouth. No one is to receive more
than a hundred blows.”
>“They mocked him and beat him.”

>“Behind our efforts, let there be found our efforts.”
>“The just man did not give up. He returned to the capital once more.”

>“The citizen renders to the populace what is due to the populace. What is due to the populace? Everything.”
>“He was very tired. His clothes were in rags and his shoes worn out. He had no food and nothing to trade.”

>“It is better to be just than to be kind, but only-good judges can be just; let those who cannot be just be kind.”
>“In the capital he lived by begging.”
>>
>>8157440
I don't quote Homer because I'm not a clamorous, vile plebeian like you.
>>
>>8157484
Whom do you quote o patrician?
>>
>>8157490
The king of arts, the messenger of Jove, Alexander Pope.
>>
>>8157494
fag
>>
>>8157440
>he doesn't speak in Faust quotes
>>
What's that quote about how quotes are stupid?
>>
File: all the way down.png (7 KB, 503x70) Image search: [Google]
all the way down.png
7 KB, 503x70
>>
D'OH
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.