[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I feel like I can't be creative without alcohol, and I feel
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: bourbon.jpg (222 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
bourbon.jpg
222 KB, 700x700
I feel like I can't be creative without alcohol, and I feel like I'm not a real person if I can't create well. I'll start writing sometimes and just think "this is shit" and start drinking. I tell myself to work harder, study other writers more but it never seems to take. Can you be great without drugs? Or even good, I'd settle for that at this point
>>
>>8157153
>Can you be great without drugs?
i fucking hate when people ask this.

yes, you can be great without drugs. drinking won't make you a better writer. only writing makes you a better writer.
>>
>>8157153
Is alcohol + writing a meme? Or does it actually help with creativity and shit?
>>
>>8157173
go fucking kill yourself
>>
>>8157169
Well it's a thought that's bound to cross your mind. So many great American authors are either alcoholics or depressed (if not both)
>>8157173
idk if it makes me write better but it makes me hate myself less so the words come easier
>>
How much alcohol do you drink? When I had addiction problems I only felt good about anything when I was high. I suppose I still do have addiction problems I'm just in remission.

When I was a little boy my dad told me "Son, if you need a drink to get up in the morning, or to go to sleep, then you're an alcoholic."
>>
>>8157182
Enough to know I have a problem, not enough to do anything about it. We'll see how it progresses.

For reference, here's drunk vs. sober: http://pastebin.com/i3KZMpJV vs. http://pastebin.com/h19TEE7T
>>
alhocol+depression didn't make the greats great you dimwits. what made them great also made them depressed alcoholics.

if your writing is bad and you start drinking it would only get worse since now the man with no talent is also drunk
>>
>>8157259
maybe this all came out wrong
I don't think that's what caused them to be great.
it's just kinda what I need to write, at all.
Especially while sober, I think my writing's shit. it is more tolerable when I'm drunk. Given that I probably am an alcoholic should I give up writing to save my liver or what
>>
>>8157153
I don't have anything to say about the relationship between writing and alcohol. I do have to say, however, that both stories are self-indulgent and not interesting to the reader. It's fine if you want to jerk off, we all do, but don't subject us to your garbage prose.
>>
I'm the opposite. I like to drink and drink a lot, and I'm most happy when I spend all my nights drunk. But I recognise that, unfortunately, everything I write when drunk is bad. Nowadays I simply find it very hard to write when drunk, probably because in the back of my head I know it's going to turn out awful. I might be more creative, but what comes out is still absolute shit in the morning. I write best when I sit down, sober and calm, and I think about what I am writing and I try to write it as best as I can.

Honestly, these days when someone writes as the OP, my genuine thought is: "he doesn't write but he wants to feel deep and pretending suffering through alcoholism does that."
>>
>>8157426
Here,
>>8157207
the sober is better.
>>
>>8157182
New job has me drinking a tallboy at night to sleep. Rip. Wagecuck life is garbage.
Get a master's in electrical engineering they said...
>>
>>8157153
>>8157426
neither drunk nor sober will make you creative.

I like to drink but I hate to drink alone.Drinking alone will enlarge the boredom I already have. I like to drink with my friends, smoke some weed together and have a crazy talk.

When I got back back home, the hype was losing but still there. I was trying to memorize what did we just talk about and wrote it down, it always turn out great.

You just need friends that have good chemistry with you.
>>
Its a creative hurdle I once dealt with.

I dont refrain from writing while drunk or stoned, but I write sober more often. Overall, the sober writing is better.

Just keep trying to write without resorting to drink. Sure, it loosens things up a bit, but to get good at writing you should practice while in a good state of mind. Its when your at your most conscious that your creative muse will take over. Drunk writing always ends up kind of lazy eg. Hemingway.
>>
>>8157153

The word "entheos" is pretty good to describe the ability to be creative after a couple of drinks.
>>
>>8157269
NAC + Vitamin C. The NAC must be taken before maybe during (but never after from what I've read). Apparently the Vit C interacts with it inca correct way from what I've read, so Bloody Mary's and Red Eye's are pretty good.
>>
>>8157173
>>8157153
Writing + alcohol has been a stereotype about writers for decades.

The fact of the matter is that you've got potential either way, but sober you is either too focused and/or barricaded by something, you're stilted. Alcohol loosens you up a bit and you're able think more freely and not feel so insecure about what you're writing.

When I'm drinking I tend to write a bit more fluently and gracefully, as contradicting as that would seem. My language is also prettier, as gay as that would seem. I also writer much sadder and funnier, as opposed to writing sober.
>>
Teach yourself to annihilate inhibition.
Flow in-tune with the current of your thoughts.
Leave editing for later, just do. Rinse and repeat...
>>
>>8157173
it doesn't help with creativity.
it helps with facing the harsh truths about the things from your personal experience.

or, you could, I don't know, not be a pussy and face the shitty aspects of your life sober
and get to live an additional ten or fifteen years in the process, not to mention you won't fuck up your brain so you'll actually be able to understand the world around you
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.