[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What did /lit/ think?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (38 KB, 230x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38 KB, 230x400
What did /lit/ think?
>>
stopped and quit about 30 pages from the end. just didn't care. such a shit book. the shrike is a fag.
>>
File: Carrion Comfort.jpg (46 KB, 295x460) Image search: [Google]
Carrion Comfort.jpg
46 KB, 295x460
>>8155748
It's a masterpiece; I don't know what the hell that other anon's talking about. Simmons' horror fiction is also great. Pic related.
>>
>>8155758
>the shrike is a fag.
He speaks so highly of you, though.
>>
It's alright, a few of the stories are really good, the rest are complete shit.

Didn't like the ending which is basically, "Stay tuned next week space cadets to find out what the fuck is going on!"

Never read the second one, but pretty sure it doesn't explain what the hell is going on either.
>>
Got half way through and was too bored to finish.
>>
>>8155748
Hate the ending.

Love the satyr, the colonel, and the priest stories.

Think the guy and his daughter is a'ight.

Cyberpunk detective clearly didn't age well.
>>
>>8155941

It actually does, though.
>>
I thought it was fantastic.

To me, the mark of a good storyteller is to give no indication of the man behind the curtain. For the characters and world to stand on their own without being propped up by an authorial style, or the little personal tricks that many writers come to rely on.

When I was finished the second book, I still had no idea who the author was; couldn't even remember his name. It was just me and the characters all the way through. The feeling of completion when you finish a series like that is incomparable.

Yes, some of the cantos are very slow, like when the anthropologist/monk is going through and explaining his findings on the lost people, or whatever. But it adds a certain something to the story that wouldn't have been there if he had just rock-skipped through it for the sake of the reader. It read how you'd actually expect an academic's journal to, and I think there's a charm to that.

It's been a few years since I read it so I can't get very specific, but that's the shape of it.
>>
I'm up to Sol Weintraub /scholar's tale and I honestly want to put this down. Literally nothing is happening, save some minor background exposition. The friars tale was easily the best so far. The colonels tale got good about halfway through. If I see another sloppy Keats reference though I'm going to shoot myself.
>>
>>8157189
go fuck yourself
>>
>>8157194
It would be extremely painful.
>>
>>8157198
Kill yourself first, then fuck the body.
>>
>>>/r/books
>>
>>8157224
For you.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.