[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
have you read any good books about relationships?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: 1448408235410.png (1 MB, 575x1024) Image search: [Google]
1448408235410.png
1 MB, 575x1024
have you read any good books about relationships?
>>
>that hint of arch cleavage

FFFFFFUCK
>>
File: depp_ryder.jpg (346 KB, 1239x1920) Image search: [Google]
depp_ryder.jpg
346 KB, 1239x1920
Between men and women?
And good in the sense that they have explanatory power? Because The Shining is also a book about a relationship.
>>
>>8155335
Not my diary desu
>>
>>8155335
Would Gone Girl count?
>>
>>8155335
Yes.
>>
The Works and Days, by Hesiod. It also covers a lot of everyday matters
>>
Stoner
>>
My first thought was "she'd be more attractive with practical footwear."
>>
>watch on wrong wrist
>>
>>8157078
>wrong
are you unaware of the existence of left handed people
>>
>>8155335

Is that Rashida Jones?
>>
Anything by Richard Yates.
>>
>>8157085
i thought that one too, but here face isnt that soft and her eyes are different
>>
>>8157082
I'm left handed. That has nothing to do with anything. I still wear a watch on my left wrist. In fact, the art of turning my arm over to view the time is enhanced by my left-handedness.
>>
What's a good modern book on themes of a man vs god, or man vs the greats, man vs giants, etc.. Anything about overcoming the bigger foe.
>>
Wind-Up Bird Chronicle helped me to understand marriage when I was a lot younger.
Strong Motion, by Franzen, was important to me as one of the only books about a younger man in a relationship with a decently older woman.
Lots of books deal with relationships in serious ways. Doris Lessing understands relationships extremely well. The Argonauts, by Maggie Nelson, is an exceptional literary non-fiction work. Basically you can look at a lot of literature and focus primarily on the relationships dynamic present.
Eric Rohmer is good if you are interested in film at all. And there are a lot of other good filmmakers whose films are primarily depictions of relationship dynamics and issues and such. I also saw this recently and thought it was one of the most intensely accurate depictions of what it means to be in a real relationship I have ever seen: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everyone_Else
>>
>>8157105
there are no gods or really any equivalent other than the faceless "modern society." and if that interest you at all consider looking into postmodern literature pretty broadly.
>>
>>8157119
>there are no gods or really any equivalent other than the faceless "modern society."

really? there's no modern books about say, a smaller poorer man financially fighting against a corporate giant? a man overpowering against the powers that be? no generic anarchy bullshit though.
>>
>>8155335
Hey, what kind of dog is that? Looks like it has cocked ears.
>>
>>8157099
doubles don't lie
>>
>>8155825
I don't remember anything about relationships--not with women anyway. There was a lot about man's relationship with his farm animals though, heh.
>>
>>8156294
More like Stone 'er!, am I rite guys?
>>
>>8155335
Anna Karenina.
The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
>>
Taipei
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.