[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/bookclub/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: Fallen_Angels_3-610x320.jpg (151 KB, 610x320) Image search: [Google]
Fallen_Angels_3-610x320.jpg
151 KB, 610x320
Now Reading: Paradise Lost
Previous Thread >>8136016

Important Dates
06/06/16 - "Three Theban Plays" finished
22/06/16 - Polling Day
24/06/16 - Polls closed; rollover period begins.
27/06/16 - Paradise Lost discussion ends.

>How do I bookclub?
Find the book at the top of this post, read it, and discuss. Bookclubs are a place for expanding and sharing your knowledge. Use this opportunity to ask questions, and discuss the things you liked and did not like about the story.

>How do I recommend books for the bookclub to read?
Use the following format: [REC] Title - Author

>Archives
http://pastebin.com/HTu8Nf5d

Threads will probably die more often as I am not reading this round. Archives will be updated later.

Here's a question though, when you think of Satan in Paradise Lost, do you imagine the classic goat-like satyr with bat wings that became popular in christian propaganda, or do you, like me, imagine an ordinary angel (angels I guess also depicted like the renaissance artists painted them), a little larger than the rest, maybe with some bruises and singed feathers?
>>
>>8155095
Ordinary angel. An interesting question is how did the satyr appearance develop ? Where did it come from ?
>>
hello
>>
I love that this is still going, I'm just sorry that I can't participate with you.

A question to the thread regulars, what would you think if there were weekly Poetry and Poetics generals on /lit/? I'm beginning to compile a list of articles and books as a sort of requiem for those of you who are deeply interested. As of now scouring for decent pdfs of anthologies, coming upon some nice finds as I'm on it.

What do you think, would you like to see something like this happen?
>>
>>8156275
You're not going to know until you try, so just go ahead and make it. The sheer number of stupid lit threads always outnumber any regular discussions anyway. To think that you're going to knock it out of the park because you planned meticulously about this idea you have is the definition of hubris. You're not going to know what happens until you try.

I will help you though, before the bookclub I used to do the "Poetry should be performed not read threads" so I can participate a bit.
>>
>>8156297
I don't think I'm over-reaching by any means, but as I see it: this board's culture is far less capricious and chaotic than /mu/'s, yet they manage to sustain an acceptable dialogue - to some degree - within the confines of their many generals. I'm only broadcasting this here, since you seem like people who aren't looking to bash others for being mere "plebs."

I'm working on compiling a list of pdfs of these following works/anthologies: (https://english.uoregon.edu/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/PoetryReadList.pdf) as a beginning, which is by itself difficult. I can't find, for instance, Allen's Poetics, off any trackers (libgen, archive, bibliotik, etc.), but I don't think that's much of a hindrance.

I appreciate any help I can get.

Also, sorry for diverting from the aim of this thread, I'll let things sink back.
>>
>>8156321
>I'm working on compiling a list of pdfs of these following works/anthologies:

see this where I think you're going wrong. Try and make one thread and see where it goes. Planning ahead, compiling all these pdfs, it could become time wasted. The other thing, I don't dictate what we're going to read next or anything like that, everything is up to the users and generally people on 4chan react harshly when OP tries to get too controlling with which direction a general should move.

Place down the barest framework, let people talk, and join in anonymously. If it works, then start planning ahead. But planning ahead now is going to set you up for disappointment.
>>
>>8155232
Baphomet! It isn't Satan at all. It just recently became a popular depiction of Satan when the Church of Satan picked it up in the 1960s. However the goat was a gnostic deity before then - the one that the Knights Templar were accused of worshiping, so it's possible it has been in use as a depiction of Satan all the way from the time of Jacques du Molay and the execution of the templars.
>>
>>8156344
Well, the list is just there for whoever wants to delve deeper into the woodwork. I'm not shoving it down anyone's throat.

>let people talk, and join in anonymously.
Which is the case.

>But planning ahead now is going to set you up for disappointment.
It's not planning ahead as much as it is to my own edification, the web has a lot of gems that deserve to be exhumed, this is just my motivation - and because I like to share.
>>
>>8155232
>>8156350

On second thought... the goat and the satyr might be totally different depictions. I have no idea when or why the satyr came about. I like the horns though.
>>
>>8155095
>what do you picture when you think about Satan
Sorry, I have a request that doesn't really belong here, but this made me kinda curious about unusual depictions of Satan. Anyone out there have any artistic depictions of Satan (or descriptions) that deviate from the Baphomet depiction? OP's mental image of Satan seems interesting.
>>
>>8156275
Yeah if you're Gunna post magnet links or something might be keen. Is that what you were planning?
>>
>>8156381
I mean I don't think there's anything in the Bible or in Paradise Lost to suggest that Satan looked anything other than an ordinary angel. As to what an ordinary angel looks like, well that's up to interpretation I think.

Here's a painting of what someone thinks Satan looked like before his rebellion. Not sure why he's wearing clothes. It's obvious though that Satan has certain powers, one of them is being able to change shape (in Paradise Lost anyway), but he obviously prefers his "original" form, with giant wings that he uses to soar through the ether between God's creations.

However everyone who depicts Satan, depicts him differently, gives him different names etc. I've never read the Inferno but Dante shows Satan as a prisoner entombed in ice so cold that not even the fires of hell can melt it. Paradise Lost shows him as the ruler of hell. The Bible at times, shows him differently (book of Job?)
>>
hello
>>
>>8156439
Working on it, was planning to find a better platform for discussing poetry besides the poetry critique threads.
>>
I was going to save Paradise Lost for my trip to Greece, but damnit i want to join.

Lets just see if i can swing by the libirary tomorow.
>>
anyone read paradise regained or whatever the sequel was called?
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.