[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>just found out from the MOTHERFUCKING GHOST of my dead dad
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: hamlet-original.jpg (141 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
hamlet-original.jpg
141 KB, 1280x720
>just found out from the MOTHERFUCKING GHOST of my dead dad that he was actually murdered by my uncle to steal the throne and marry my mom
>said ghost tells me I need to avenge his murder
>I'll do it by pretending to be crazy and putting on a play!

We're meant to think Hamlet's being a bit elaborate about all this, right? Like, this is really convoluted.
>>
File: p12935_p_v8_aa.jpg (259 KB, 960x1440) Image search: [Google]
p12935_p_v8_aa.jpg
259 KB, 960x1440
>>8155087
Branagh does great asides and monologues but in acting how mad Hamlet is, I think he was a bit too Jolly.
>>
Yes, absolutely. He struggles with the realization of the idealized image he has of himself, a valiant Warrior King like his father, by delving into selfish, narcissistic over contemplation of his nature and procrastination. Hamlet over analyzes and is consumed with inaction
>>
>>8155092
I love this one with marriane faithfull i bought. It really butchers the play alot of places, not that that's seldom, but it captures the spirit treswell.
>>
>>8155087
He doesn't know that his father was murdered though. The appearance of the ghost shatters his epistemological understanding of the world and he is paralysed because of it. He doesn't know how to act morally when one does not know enough about the world. He attempts a few times to learn the truth but is unable and contemplates suicide due to the inability of acting rightly.

The actors arrive and he is amazed that someone can have so much passion for things known to be invented. This view confirms itself when he is marching with the army. He notices the zeal of the soldiers going off to die for nothing. This convinces him that the way to live is to be an actor, to make a role out of oneself, to act arbitrarily. This is when he returns to Denmark to kill his uncle.
>>
>>8155098
With the first part i wholeheartedly agree. And 'someone needs to just say' that simple observation. But hamlet takes action itself into overdrive, rather than become slavish to a melancholia. He adresses it in the famous soliloquy. Nietzsche and academia are at odds with this whole 'procrastinationVapeshitforyourideals', nietzsche wins the debate, one which, hardly a victory. <snickers like the simpsonprofessor>
>>
>>8155124
You should write trailervoiceovers "this is when he returns to denmark to kill his uncle"<slight droney orchestra>... . It leaves both your and 'op''s opinion intact. Yes, these are points none of the movies contain, due o the reductive efforts in them. If i may synthetically compress...: ""He is an archetypal actor, and thus convoluted as duckmouth.""
>>
>>8155123
I feel the same way about Polanski's Macbeth
>>
>>8155123
I thought that considering it's the only full length production of Hamlet on film it was easily the most faithful to the source. Most works seem to leave out the invasion, a scene of which has the most important soliloquy in the whole play.
>>
>>8155087
Yes, Hamlet goes out of his way to set up an elaborate plan. There's two reasons to this - setting up the plan allows him to postpone taking decisive action, but Hamlet is also simply not sure that his uncle is actually guilty. He fears that the ghost that appeared(like >>8155124 mentioned, Hamlet is an educated man who doesn't usually believe in ghosts) is either him going crazy or perhaps a demonic figure. The plan with the play allows him to verify Claudius's guilt and 'catch the conscience of the king'. Ofcourse once he is certain Claudius did in fact kill his father Hamlet still doesn't kill him, because he believes him to be praying. Only once his imminent death forces his hand does Hamlet act resolutely and kill Claudius. Mind you, this isn't entirely beyond his own volition - he suspects that the duel is a setup from the start, but still agrees to the challenge.
>>
>>8155221
Also, yes. Hard to find to buy in flanders.. Anything.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.