[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
hey /lit/, any books similar to pic related? I really liked the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 6
File: the-witch-poster.jpg (116 KB, 810x1200) Image search: [Google]
the-witch-poster.jpg
116 KB, 810x1200
hey /lit/, any books similar to pic related? I really liked the religious theme surrounding the story. I'm thinking of "The Exorcist",

PS. No entry level reads, please. I'm done with Lovecraft, Edgar Allan Poe, and the likes.
>>
>>8152766
what about Fuk- Off by Yuri A. kunt?
>>
Lol I'm actually watching that as we speak.
>>
>>8152766
Malleus Maleficarum by Heinrich Kramer which is about how to hunt witches. The witches in the movie are basically what this guy thinks witches are in real life.

The Crucible by Arthur Miller which is about hysteria surrounding witch sightings, which is touched on briefly in the movie (I suppose you could interpret it in a specific way to make it spooky)

Have you read Dream In The Witches' House by Lovecraft? Thats pretty similar shit
>>
>>8152766
I read a book in a library once called Satanic Dictionary. It basically describes how people back in the day thought of witches.

As for the feeling of being isolated in the woods while members of your family turn on you, I can't think of any good examples but there are probably tonnes. Like does The Shining Count?
>>
>>8152802

I think The Shinning is actually pretty similar (both the movie and the book) but (un)fortunately I've already read/watched it.

>>8152792

I'm not sure If I read that one by Lovecraft. I'll look into it. The Arthur Miller one really interested me.
>>
>>8152819
Arthur Miller wrote it in the context of the Communist witch hunts. There are a lot of parallels between the book and the movie I found because the parents flip their shit at even the slightest possibility that their daughter could be the witch. Stuff like rumors and accusations based on nothing could really get you killed back then. It really dives in and explores the harsh pilgrim lifestyle and the engendered differences in the witch hunts and although there aren't any supernatural elements as I said you could put yourself in that perspective.

Lovecraft's short story is awesome, full of witches, signing evil pacts, traveling to the forth dimension, using mathematics and dreams to tear the thin veil of our reality off of our eyes. Defiantly check it out if you haven't.
>>
File: realisticbaphomet.jpg (69 KB, 500x634) Image search: [Google]
realisticbaphomet.jpg
69 KB, 500x634
>>8152854
>there aren't any supernatural elements as I said you could put yourself in that perspective.

Sounds great. One of the elements that I liked in the book was the overtly religious feeling the family had.

I've already downloaded both books and will start reading them ASAP.

Thank you so much for your recommendations.
>>
The Devils of Loudon by Huxley
>>
File: weirdbooks.jpg (258 KB, 1200x755) Image search: [Google]
weirdbooks.jpg
258 KB, 1200x755
I prefer the weird fiction: less pretentious, more pulpy, but sometimes excellent: Blackwood and Machen especially.
>>
>>8152909
Yeah the Crucible is full of hard core fundies, you'll love it

>>8153215
Dreams of the Witches House
>>
>>8153215
What are those lovely black specimens on your shelf anon? This entire pictures makes me uncomfortably horny
>>
File: blackbooks-fronts.jpg (286 KB, 1100x740) Image search: [Google]
blackbooks-fronts.jpg
286 KB, 1100x740
>>8153237
Those big hardcovers? They're Gollancz's "big black books." Those are the only six they've put out so far, but I really enjoy them. Just stay away from the paperback versions: they turn into battered phone books overnight.
>>
File: GollanczWells01.jpg (265 KB, 817x1000) Image search: [Google]
GollanczWells01.jpg
265 KB, 817x1000
I've got their Wells hardcovers, too. Affordable and very thick.
>>
>>8152766
>>8152792
>>8153215

The Curious Case Of Dexter Ward is very similar as well come to think of it
>>
>>8153253
>>8153257
That makes my mouth water for Weird Fiction. How much were they?
>>
File: IMGP0316edit.jpg (461 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
IMGP0316edit.jpg
461 KB, 1200x900
>>8153284
Around $23, back then. I think they're $30-40 or so now on amazon, if they're all still in print.
>>
Penguin's book of witches it pretty good
>>
>>8153215
And Keats in the back, what a killer collection
>>
>>8153682
this sounds great
>>
>>8153215
>less pretentious
>>
>>8154361
Yep. Have you read Caitlin Kiernan, Thomas Ligotti, Peter Straub? They do some good work, but there's a self-awareness there that keeps me at arm's length from the material. It's like they're too busy proving they're not just weird fiction authors, but serious artists. I don't find that with the earlier authors. Just my take.
>>
>>8153309
They're still in print in the UK, anon.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.