[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm starting to get into writing and I find that after many
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4
File: 000000000.jpg (38 KB, 400x388) Image search: [Google]
000000000.jpg
38 KB, 400x388
I'm starting to get into writing and I find that after many pages of prose there is only so little that is salvageable and of any worth... Has /lit/ seen an improvement in their writing since they've first undertaken the task?
>>
>>8152357
Yes, but you have to know exactly what you're trying to accomplish with each sentence/passage/chapter, etc. for it to feel like progress.

You can't just shit something out with the vague idea of being "aesthetic" and expect it to look good to you afterwards.
>>
File: 1463616955028.jpg (6 KB, 240x240) Image search: [Google]
1463616955028.jpg
6 KB, 240x240
It's all practice my dude. You can't possibly expect to pick up a pencil and draw like the masters so don't be disappointed when you're not a great writer from the start. (And no, talent is a myth so don't even think this excuse).
Chances are, you're gonna suck for the next few years, possibly decades but if you keep trying your best and keep not giving up when it's not enough, you'll eventually write how you want to write. Hang in there.
>>
>>8152372
>you can't just shit something out with the vague idea of being "aesthetic" and expect it to look good to you afterwards

Shit. That's exactly what I do. I'll try to think more of what I'm doing and trying to convey then. Thx
>>
>>8152387
gee thx. Though I'm not sure if talent is a myth. Talent may just be an euphemism for intelligence I think?
>>
>>8152403
I figured as much. It's a very typical amateur mistake.
>>
>>8152387
u r a gawd. bless yuew
>>
>>8152419
i wouldn't think so. writings like a muscle. You can be stupid but right clearly and opinionated enough to make your experiences interesting
>>
>>8152357

Don't worry about your prose. Finish the draft and see what you have first.
>>
>>8152357
talent exists, but its more like a ceiling. someone very talented can start from the bottom but have a lot more room for improvement. just try less hard - enjoy writing - don't try to be a writer.
>>
bump.
this thread got feelz
>>
>>8152471
i like u
>>
File: you-just-have-to-believe.jpg (14 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
you-just-have-to-believe.jpg
14 KB, 300x300
I've put my current novel to one side a couple of times already. When I picked it up again most recently and re-read my previous work, I noticed that every time I had come back to it, the writing and characterisation was notably stronger than before.

It's obviously still first-draft work and I'll need to take a chainsaw to large parts of it in the rewrite, but I can definitely see how sheer volume of words is helping me progress.
>>
prose
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.