[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What would you put into the recommended reading list for high
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: 485165586.jpg (67 KB, 630x419) Image search: [Google]
485165586.jpg
67 KB, 630x419
What would you put into the recommended reading list for high schoolers if you know they will probably never read anything again after they finish their studies.
1. One 20th century novel
2. One romance
3. One science fiction/fantasy
4. One classic
5. Else
Hard mode: Fill with 5 woman writers
>>
Anything by Wolfe
Anything by any of the Brontë sisters
Anything by Le Guin
Middlemarch
Anything by your mum
>>
>>8151113
>20th century
Ken Kesey - Sometimes a Great Notion
>Romance
The Sorrows of Young Werther
>sf/fantasy
Book of the New Sun obviously
>Classic
As I Lay Dying
>something else
some Borges short stories.
>>
>>8151122
I've been eyeing Ursula K Le Guin for a while now but don't know where to begin. What's a good intro to her work?

I've never been interested in fantasy or science fiction. I don't mind it, I've just never read much fantasy outside of Tolkien.
>>
I feel nowhere near qualified to do this and barely remember any books I've read so I'm gonna pick from the ones that already get at least mentioned in school
> One 20th century novel
I'd say Lord of the flies since it's not that long and who doesn't love reading about 10yo kids on an island murdering each other
> One romance
This is a really tough one since I don't read much romance but... Pride and Prejudice, I guess? I mean it'll be boring but what can ya do
> One science fiction/fantasy
I would have said His Dark Materials but I doubt a high schooler would want to read something that long so I'd say any book by Pratchett, ideally one of the shorter ones, since they're fun to read and interesting so people might read more?
> One classic
Les Misérables because I want the punks to Suffer
> Else
free pick for the kids honestly
>>
female writers:
1. to the lighthouse
2. pride and prejudice
3. frankenstein
4. goldfinch
5. the secret history

my own picks are:
1. one hundred years of solitude
2. i don't read romances. quo vadis counts
3. lotr
4. a clockwork orange
5. the goldfinch
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.