[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm looking for an entire book that speaks such amazing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: tumblr_kzjb7mhrtp1qayxxzo1_500.jpg (26 KB, 475x640) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_kzjb7mhrtp1qayxxzo1_500.jpg
26 KB, 475x640
I'm looking for an entire book that speaks such amazing philosophical language, I'll feel sobered and chilled while I read it, and walk away feeling like the universe is more vivid.
>>
>>8150840
Metaphysics by Aristotle
>>
Finn Family Moomintroll by Tove Jansson.
>>
>>8150840
Mind and Nature: A Necessary Unity by Gregory Bateson

You'll finish a section not knowing that such detailed and expansive thoughts were even possible, like reading some left over tome from an advanced alien race.

He describes the very process of thinking and how it recursively spirals into itself as you compare your knowlege base with new percepts, abduct the schema from your old knowlege and apply it to the new.

Talks about ecology, evolution, psychology, math, anthropology, cybernetics, philosophy, etc.
>>
>>8150903
definitely going to get this one.
>>
>>8150840
Are you aware of the existence of poetry
>>
>>8151003
What poetry would you recommend? I prefer prose poetry type stuff like Pessoa, but I read a little bit of the rhyme and meter type poetry with people like Rimbaud and I didn't get it. What would you recommend? I really have been interested in poetry lately.
>>
The Picture Of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde.
>>
>>8151043
I hated this book, I stopped half way through on page 56.
>>
File: fourquartets_1.jpg (88 KB, 349x585) Image search: [Google]
fourquartets_1.jpg
88 KB, 349x585
>>8151015
I carry Eliot's Four Quartets around and read it when I have a moment. I've been doing that for many years now, and it still has profound thoughts to impart. Those poems are amazing and complex philosophical musings on life, death, poetry, and faith.
>>
>>8151161
you don't mean it talks about faith in god, right? because you almost had me sold on it til that point.
>>
>>8150840
>>8151146 Is definitely you btw.

Read Descartes' Meditations.
>>
>>8151174
It does in some respects (Eliot had become Anglican by then), but give it a chance anyway. Eliot doesn't answer hard questions just with "because God." Quite the opposite, really. I'm a hardcore atheist, but following his thoughts and opinions on desire is still fascinating.
>>
>>
>>8150840
Heidegger. When you first read him it seems like gibberish, but as you slowly come to realize what he means by beings, opening up, standing opposed, and his treatments of different moods it becomes poetic and super sweet in its own way
>>
>>8151244
OP didn't ask for comedy
>>
>>8150840
My twisted world by Elliot Rodger
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.