[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Emma Rice turns Shakespear into shit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: 960.jpg (166 KB, 671x1075) Image search: [Google]
960.jpg
166 KB, 671x1075
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/27/to-cut-or-not-to-cut-rsc-and-globe-at-odds-over-shakespeare/
>The Globe is putting on an all-singing, all-dancing production in London, raising eyebrows among traditionalists who likened it to a “sixth form disco” for its added neon lights, amplifiers and references to pop culture.
>>
Every time you read some postmodern thing about "destabilizing" "ossified" cultural forms, like Badiou putting fart jokes in The Republic or whatever, the worst part of it is the sinking feeling that it's going to ripple outward into the culture fifty years after it's even novel anymore, and on the least subtle level possible, so that you're still going to be subjected to lazy FARTS'N'SHAKESPEARE: DISCO 6000 (NOW WITH ANIME REFERENCES, AND GAY BLACK LESBIANS, ISN'T THAT SO SUBVERSIVE) productions in the year 2035

When is this shit going to be sufficiently cliche that even laypeople understand it's cliche? When did we hit that point with the hippies that any time some patchouli faggot was like "It's organic, maaaan," people would mock him for being a walking hippie cliche? Can that happen with the gay black lesbian Piss Christ brigade already?
>>
It's probably shit, but freaking out about it just gives it legitimacy.
>>
Can you cry more OP you pathetic faggot.

Something you don't have to acknowledge exists and that just makes you want to cry yourself to sleep. Do you cry about everything else that's shitty in the world, do you complain about every summer movie? Do you cause an uproar when you hear pop music in some store? Do you write letters to the government whenever you see an advertisement for food you think is gross?

You and all the John Greene crybabies take your stupid hurt asses out of lit, find some soccer moms and go with them to their kitchen tables to bitch about the world until their husbands come home, you repulsive whining faggot.

I can't believe that you don't realize that in bitching and moaning about progressives you just become another version of them you literal child.
>>
>>8152583

He hasn't even said a word yet, merely pointing it out like a newspaper headline, maybe you're the one who has a problem.
>>
>>>/news/
>>
>>8152597
>Emma Rice turns Shakespear into shit

Yeah you are right, he clearly has no opinion, hes just showing us.
>>
>>8152623

I'm sure it was included in the article somewhere.
>>
>>8152647
Yeah I found it.

"Shakespear was a really good writer. So if he was such a good writer you'd think that people ought to leave his work alone innit? But no, some daft cunt called Anne Rice has decided to create a new homosexual Shakespear, and I bet she will call him suckspear.

Come off it Anne, you stupid cunt."

Good article honestly.
>>
>>8152583
So we're supposed to let things go to shit and just ignore it? Are we not supposed to protest that something is bad, but instead implicitly condone it by saying nothing?
>>
>>8152737
If someone creating their own interpretation of a play means that it's going to shit, then there's really nothing you can do. You are being sensational anyway.

Something to protest: "Romeo and Juliet is being modified all over the world and edited so that all characters are 18, to curb teenage pregnancy, and edited so that no character dies, and instead Romeo and Juliet just break up at the end, to avoid triggering people who are afraid of death and also to send a message to the lgbtqmnop community that hetero relationships arent somehow better than homosexual ones.

Something not to protest: Someone is altering a peice of public domain literature for their use to try and make something new out of it.

Is it horrible? Obviously. Does it mean that nobody will ever be able to play tradtional Shakespear again? Hardly.
>>
>>8152583
This

Theater is open to reinterpretation but I doubt that this crazy post-modern shit is going to have so much of a lasting impact that we abandon the originals altogether.
>>
File: Problem?.jpg (78 KB, 500x305) Image search: [Google]
Problem?.jpg
78 KB, 500x305
>>8150669
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.