[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alright guys. So I'm new to /lit/ and am interested in some
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: 600full-stephen-king.jpg (64 KB, 560x420) Image search: [Google]
600full-stephen-king.jpg
64 KB, 560x420
Alright guys. So I'm new to /lit/ and am interested in some must read philosophical books. I'm a casual when it comes to reading. (I've only read a few Stephen King books and the Game of Thrones series, with a few other books here and there for classes I've taken.) Philosophy has always been greatly interesting to me, I would like to read books that ponder ideas of existence and war.

Also, I guess this could be a starting point for others if some /lit/ veterans could help a few literature new-fags out.

>inb4 lurk more
It's impossible to figure out where the hell to start from most of the threads put out.

>pic unrelated
>>
>>8149983
how do you know that philosophy is "greatly interesting to you" if you've never read any philosophy

also start with the greeks
>>
>>8149988
Well, what I meant to say is exploring ideas into great detail interests me, so that's why philosophy seems like a good place to start reading. Sorry, should've been more clear.

But thanks, I'll start there
>>
Just read Hamlet
>>
Have you heard of John Green?

He's easily the most underrated thinker of our time and yet most people outside of /lit/ just wont give him the time of day. I'd recommend The Fault in Our stars as a basic intro into his main ideas. Take your time. See you in a few months, friend
>>
>>8150064
Yea dude. I fucking love John Green. That movie was great. A real fucking artist. Thanks for the advice friend. :^ )

Thanks for your help boys.
>>
>>8149983
Try the Fountainhead. It is easy to read but it will introduce you to new realms of thought. Then come back when you are done.
>>
>>8150092
Alright. I'll check it out, thanks pal.
>>
>>8149983
I'd say that, because you're rather new to philosophy, that you should start off with some easier works. The easiest pieces of philosophical literature that I can think of are:
>Phenomenology of Spirit by Hegel
>On the Basis of Morality by Schopenhauer
>The Birth of the Clinic by Foucault
>Being and Time by Heidegger
>Speech and Phenomena by Derrida

Come back when you're done with all of these. Good luck OP :^)
>>
>>8149983
Vonnegut is a pretty easy and entertaining read while still being a bit deeper than King stuff. Cat's Cradle would be a good place to start with that.

The Stranger by Camus would also be a good choice, especially for Philosophical merit. Quite a bit heavier than Vonnegut but still very accessible.
>>
>>8150092

Great idea indoctrinate someone instead of introduce them to the proper avenues of philosophy.

The greeks aren't a meme just for the sake of memeing

People who read game of thrones and stephen king are dumb enough to hop right into ayn rand though so no surprise.
>>
>>8150116
>>8150100
Thanks. These are all being collected.

>>8150120
Did you not read my post? I'm new to this. Don't attack my intelligence based off of what I read man, surely you're better than that. I'll start off with Greek authors and go farther into all of it when I become more familiar with the artists and ideas
>>
Thank you for this thread /lit/. From the troll OP claiming he's only ever read Stephen King and GRRM and he finds philosophy "greatly interesting" to the guy recommending Hegel as a starting point this has been a 10/10 thread. My faith in the internet has been restored.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.