[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>linguist >philosopher >cognitive scientist >his
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 7
File: chomsky.jpg (90 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
chomsky.jpg
90 KB, 1920x1080
>linguist
>philosopher
>cognitive scientist
>historian
>logician
>social critic
>political activist
Is Noam Chomsky the greatest polymath intellectual of modern times?
The way he drives his arguments from one point to another is so fluid and coherent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CKpCGjD8wg
>>
What does Chomsky think will happen if The United States Navy pulled out of the South China Sea?
>>
>>8149483
The same thing that would've happened if your dad had pulled out of your mom's vagina. Avoid a tragedy.
>>
>old white guy
yawn
>>
>marxist
>anarchist

I have literally no reason to listen to this incredibly stupid man
>>
I thought his book Hegemony or Survival was good. Any suggestions for similar works by other authors? Thanks
>>
>>8149522
Got eem
>>
>>8149675
>old jewish guy
>>
You forgot the main one.
>genocide apologist

He's shit btw desu.
>>
All this (recent) Chomsky hate made me check out his netflix documentary, solid guy.
>>
>>8149753
The Turner Diaries by William Pierce
>>
>>8149477
Agreed.
>>
>>8149854
If genocide is a problem, I should hear you far more vocal about /pol/, right?
>>
>>8149690
Or what about the fascists you must hate with equal disdain for not supporting American values? Or do you think they support American values?
>>
File: 7304.png (83 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
7304.png
83 KB, 480x360
>>8149522
>>
File: CYy2iHKUoAAqPRd.jpg (17 KB, 351x329) Image search: [Google]
CYy2iHKUoAAqPRd.jpg
17 KB, 351x329
>>8149522
>>
File: Reeee.gif (428 KB, 540x540) Image search: [Google]
Reeee.gif
428 KB, 540x540
>>8149477

If that's all it takes to be a polymath nowadays, then how far the bar has fucking sunk.
>>
What's with the Noamshills lately?
>>
pseud for pseuds
>>
>>8149477
Chomsky pioneered the Nativist argument for early linguistic acquisition, which has been refuted by the work of many linguists since. I'll listen to him on other stuff, but not linguistics.
>>
>>8150785
Dumb frog poster
>>
>>8150875
It's been attempted to be discredited, though the matter is still strictly divided.
>>
>>8150875

>Tfw people insist he's only worth listening to for linguistics
>Tfw he's been debunked even there
>>
>>8150875

could you tldr me on the Nativist argument?
>>
>>8149483
Well, he thinks Obama's pivot to Asia is all foul.

He sees it as antagonizing China (as if China, that IP thieving database breaching piece of shit) is some guiltless innocent babe.

If the US pulled out, presumably Chomsky would suggest that would stabilize the region. After all, leave Asia to the Asians.
>>
>>8149675
Fuck off back to Dumblr fag
>>
>>8150584
Except fascism is inherently unAmerican and America will always be a bastion against fascist resurgence (unless trump wins)

You can't have your big fat nice shiny freedums with a side of fries when you're busy bootlicking ein Führer
>>
>>8149854
>citing a 30 year old meme
Kek, learn to google sometime
>>
>>8150931

>freedom
>democracy
>equality
>good
>>
>>8150913
I can.

Essentially, the brains of tots come genetically packaged with specialized machinery for processing and producing language. The environment and upbringing has nothing to do with it besides filling in the surface details.
>>
>>8150940

Well, that does sound like a pretty weak argument
>>
>>8150939
What Stirner argues is worse.
>>
>>8150947
Well, that's not the argument, it's the conclusion.

The devil is in the details.

Hearing Chimsky and his acolytes talk about it, they make a persuasive case.
>>
File: You belong to me.jpg (62 KB, 720x616) Image search: [Google]
You belong to me.jpg
62 KB, 720x616
>>8150953
>>
>>8150955

Yeah, Im not trying to refute it, but a lot of examples contradicting it sprang to mind when I read that.
>>
>>8150980
>a lot of examples
Mention at least 5.
>>
Why doesn't he talks about Venezuela anymore?

I loved his comments on the Bolivarian Revolution.
>>
>>8151109
I wish we could use Chomsky's opinions as toilet paper in Venezuela...
>>
>>8150875
can you explain how it has been refuted? I am not a linguist (hopefully will be tho) but as far as I can see, almost all of the humans, regardless of their 'mother tongue' start developing language at about the same time with a similar path to perfecting the use of language.
>>
>>8149477
Does anyone have that pasta about Chomsky?
I didnt save it before mods deleted it
>>
>>8151212
nvm found it

A Jewish anarcho-syndicalist MIT professor of linguistics and opportunistic political activist was teaching a class on Rene Descartes, known rationalist.

”Before the class begins, you must get on your knees and worship Descartes and accept that he was the most highly-evolved being the world has ever known, even greater than me!”

At this moment, a brave, patriotic, humanitarian Harvard behavioral psychologist who had conditioned over 1000 pigeons to compete in ping pong championship tournaments and understood the necessity of reinforcement and punishment for the creation of a Walden-like utopia and fully supported all breaches of research ethics made by J.B. Watson in the name of science stood up and held up a chimpanzee.

”How many signs does this chimp use to communicate, pinhead?”

The arrogant professor smirked quite Jewishly and smugly replied “None, language is innate and uniquely possessed by the human species, you stupid empiricist”.
>>
>>8151236
”Wrong. It’s been 58 years since you published Syntactic Structures and plunged us into the dark age of cognitivism. If it was language was not simply a semiotic system among many and Universal Grammar, as you say, is real… then we would be speaking Hebrew now”.

The professor was visibly shaken, and dropped his chalk and his favorite Bill Cosby sweater. He stormed out of the room crying those anarcho-syndicalist crocodile tears, the same tears liberals cry for the “poor” (who today live in such luxury that most own refrigerators) when they publish tracts condemning right-wing dictators and ignoring the atrocities of left-wing rulers in Peru, Angola, Pakistan, and Equatorial Guinea. There is no doubt that at this point our professor, Noam Chomsky, wished he had pulled himself up by his bootstraps and become more than a sophist anarchist professor. He wished so much that he could blame his actions on the environmental influence of the academic ivory tower, but he himself had argued against it!

The students all predictably applauded at this positive stimulus that day and accepted B. F. Skinner as their lord and savior. An eagle named Radical Translation flew into the room and perched atop the American Flag and shed a tear on the chalk. The pledge of allegiance was read several times, and Willard van Orman Quine himself showed up and abolished all cognitive psychology departments across the country.

The professor lost his tenure and was fired the next day. He was sent to Guantanamo Bay for political subversion and was forced to watch looped footage of Foucault laughing at him for all eternity.
>>
>>8149753

Anyone got any actual suggestions? Serious
>>
>>8151179
Do you like capitalism ( remember that doesn't mean only laissez faire)? If not what is your preferred state then?
>>
>>8151374
please
>>
>>8151241
what's this from?
>>
>>8151388
>economics
>kek
>>
I remember when I was 16
>>
>>8151241
>The students all predictably applauded
kek
>>
>>8150580
Both are shit. What does /pol/ have to do with anything? People like you and Chomsky who feel the need to constantly bring up unrelated shit in discussion are
mind numbingly retarded.

>/pol/ is awful too!
>The US kills people too!
No shit, shut up. You bring nothing to this place.
>>
>>8150947
the evidence for it is extremely strong. it's called poverty of stimulus. people have attempted to show that language can be learned with domain-general learning, but they always require some Universal Grammar principles. for example, one of the cases thought to be most simple was identifying word boundaries using the drop in transitional probability of sounds at word boundaries. for decades people thought you could segment words that way, no UG required. however, a few years ago it was demonstrated that that method is inadequate, and that UG principles are required. check out the paper by charles yang if you're interested in the facts http://web.mit.edu/6.863/www/fall2012/readings/tics-final.pdf
there is other evidence in learning syntax, for example the fact that there are many logically possible errors in language learning that children just never make. if you're interested in that part of the argument, take a look at this paper by julie legate http://www.ling.upenn.edu/~ycharles/papers/tlr-final.pdf
>>
>>8150980
Considering the best in academia haven't fully refuted it, I'd love to see what you've got for us.
>>
>>8150889
>>8150889
>>8151204

To be fair he's probably correct in a soft sense where our brains have a natural propensity towards language (what he would call the Language Acquisition Device), but seeing as there are vastly different languages and grammatical structures across the world it's more likely to be a combination of nativism early on, but later Skinner's behaviourism argument (the child imitates speakers around him/her and these people positively reinforce correct utterances) and Bruner's ideas about child-directed speech and social interaction as the driving force behind acquisition. This is because hard-line nativism doesn't account for the pragmatic and contextual factors (everything from regional dialect or accent to politeness strategies and facial expression) in effective communication.
>>
File: dogethreatened.jpg (79 KB, 717x960) Image search: [Google]
dogethreatened.jpg
79 KB, 717x960
>>8149522
Savage
>>
>>8154277
>but later Skinner's behaviourism argument (the child imitates speakers around him/her and these people positively reinforce correct utterances)
The problem there tho is:
1. Children actually respond piss poorly to this during language acquisition
2. People (mostly) don't talk to kids normally (motherese and so on) for a very long time
3. We have our own dialects but also an idea of what speaking proper like is
4. We if anything use more and more novel utterances that make sense as time goes on

And this is being nice. The last point is just the tip of the iceberg of what is so fundamentally wrong with behaviourist approaches to language. Shit don't make sense.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.