[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Essential music journalism reads? Lester Bangs was pretty /lit/.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: 1465570544010.png (128 KB, 832x438) Image search: [Google]
1465570544010.png
128 KB, 832x438
Essential music journalism reads? Lester Bangs was pretty /lit/.
>>
Lester Bangs didn't exist.
>>
>>8149404
england's dreaming by jon savage
that one by greil marcus about americana. forgot the name
>>
I've been reading:
England's Hidden Reverse, by David Keenan, which is exceptional
& Wreckers of Civilization, which is good but less actively engaging.

I don't know if either of them necessarily count as "journalism," but EHR definitely does, to my mind, more so than WoC.

You might consider subscribing to the Wire and looking through its digital archives. They're the only decent source of music journalism anymore. Tinymixtapes is okay if you can put up with their overwhelming avant-teen pretensions.
>>
>>8149430
>that one by greil marcus about americana. forgot the name
That could be quite a few Greil Marcus book, but the one you're probably thinking about is probably Invisible Republic/Old Weird America about Dylan's Basement Tapes.
>>
Song & Dance Man III: The Art of Bob Dylan is probably the best study of Dylan's music/lyrics and his influences. It's a hefty read so I wouldn't suggest to anyone who doesn't have a fairly large interest in Dylan, but if you do it's quite a good read.
How Music Works by David Byrne is fantastic, though it's not really music journalism per se, more of an explanation of, well, how music works. I read it before I knew anything about the Talking Heads so I can say without bias that it's a pretty well-informed book.
Johnny Cash: The Life is the most recent Johnny Cash biography and the best. Fair warning: this isn't the book to read if you want a pleasant (or badass) view of Johnny Cash.
Revolution in the Air & Still on the Road - Different from Song & Dance Man in that it explores the actual process/history of each song Dylan wrote up to the point the book was published.
Peter Guralnick's studies on southern musicians are generally pretty good.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.