[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've realized that I'm terrible at describing the physical
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: mona_lisa_smile-620x412.jpg (85 KB, 620x412) Image search: [Google]
mona_lisa_smile-620x412.jpg
85 KB, 620x412
I've realized that I'm terrible at describing the physical attributes of people, whether it be their hair, facial structure, or body shape. Is there anything you guys recommend reading to focus on honing these skills?
>>
Look up some adjectives
>>
>>8148363
Look up "types of..." (facial/ body part) on an image search engine. It's just a start but it'll give you some more basic vocabulary shortcuts
>>
I honestly think the best thing you could do would be to go to a public place and just people-watch and mock people to yourself. Pick out everything you hate or love about them.
>>
>>8150128
That's an intresting exercise. I do it anyway because Im a judgemental asshole but with the idea of doing so within the context of polishing my craft is something I may do.
>>
>>8148363
Stop describing them, then. It's not like you have to. If you have trouble describing, maybe you don't have a clear mental picture yourself and maybe that's because you feel you don't have much to say about the physical features. So don't. Write about what you have something to say about.
>>
Don't describe people using terms that would be accepted unless you really are completely unable to describe someone. There's always a way. There is a way you see others and your best bet is to stay true to those perceptions.
>>
>>8148363
That stuff doesn't actually matter. That shit is only important for pulp readers who have no imagination.

Emotional resonance is probably the most important "description" you can give in literary fiction.

Don't focus on physical attributes of characters unless it's integral to the story and/theme.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.